Does he measure up?

cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited January 26, 2008 in People
A few shots of the official photographer for a concert happening tonight. He was on stage while they were setting up. Also a couple of a video production boss having a chat on the phone. The lens (Canon 300mm f4.0L IS USM plus 1.4X) was new for me, first day on the job, so early days in the learning process on that one.

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg
Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Well,

He better measure up!!!

He appears to me to be on the "level" as well!!!rolleyes1.gif
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    What's the deal with the measuring tape? How do you like your 300mm lens so far? I'm getting the same one next week.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    What's the deal with the measuring tape? How do you like your 300mm lens so far? I'm getting the same one next week.

Cuong

All the lighting rigs that are lofted above the stage have these tapes fixed to them to measure the distance from light to stage. They had about 4 tapes per rig.

As for the lens, lots to learn in its use, but love the clarity. I'll have to get used to altering my ISO in lower light situations to ensure I keep the shutter speed at least as fast as, but preferabbly faster than the focal distance of the lens. As it was a second hand lens there was no manual with it, so I need to go to the Canon site, download and read up on it.

The reason I purchased it was for some sport photography and for that I believe it is great. Time will tell whether this amateur can fully utilise the benefits this lens can offer me.

• PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    All the lighting rigs that are lofted above the stage have these tapes fixed to them to measure the distance from light to stage. They had about 4 tapes per rig.

Great Shots with the 300mm. I have a borrowed one that I occasionally use, but I'm not that great with it yet. You've inspired me to break it out and practice more.

What concert was this for? Any shots of the stage? Where's it at? I'm a stage hand as a full-time job, so I'm very interested in both aspects of your post.
  • cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Pilznr wrote:
    Great Shots with the 300mm. I have a borrowed one that I occasionally use, but I'm not that great with it yet. You've inspired me to break it out and practice more.

What concert was this for? Any shots of the stage? Where's it at? I'm a stage hand as a full-time job, so I'm very interested in both aspects of your post.

As the photo opportunity was a priviledged one I promised the organisers I am restricted as to what I can show. Ultimately, very little. Anyway, I have PM'd you some info

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    He's set up on a man made stage and using 1/100 f10? I'm not the pro, but it seems like that would see camera shake at that speed when your not on solid ground..
    Then again, I can find something wrong w/ anything, so take this w/ a grain of saltrolleyes1.gif
  • PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    He's set up on a man made stage and using 1/100 f10? I'm not the pro, but it seems like that would see camera shake at that speed when your not on solid ground..
    As a professional stage hand, I've been on many "man-made stages." Yes, there are a few that are not sturdy, but the stages used in concerts like these are incredibly solid, not to mention extremely heavy. I'd be willing to bet that the "man made stage" at this venue could be considered "solid ground."
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Great shots!! My husband runs a lot of shows in this area (sound engineer), they never see the tapes on the light rigs, that is great!!
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11