possible SF-4 submission

tinfishtinfish Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited January 28, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello all.
Well I have really been trying to get a shot for the semi-final. So far this shot is the one I am leaning toward. I would really like to know what you all think. Tear it apart. What do you like, dislike? What will the judges likely see wrong with it? Any and all input is very much appreciated. Thanks!

2222452816_f2c3f41fe6_o.jpg

Shot with 50mm at f2 through a strand of christmas lights.
Jeff Harbin
"Life of Riley" Photography
www.lifeofrileyphotography.com

Comments

• cbsnetcbsnet Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    tinfish wrote:
    Hello all.
    Well I have really been trying to get a shot for the semi-final. So far this shot is the one I am leaning toward. I would really like to know what you all think. Tear it apart. What do you like, dislike? What will the judges likely see wrong with it? Any and all input is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Shot with 50mm at f2 through a strand of christmas lights.

Cool shot. A little clockwork orange look on the face.

-carl
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Lools pretty nice, but why not give us an 800 pixel entry ready shot?!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • tinfishtinfish Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    Cbsnet-Thank you. I was not going for clockwork orange, but now that you mention it a little more eye makeup and a hat.......I can see it.

Hoofclix-sorry, here is an 800 pixel size shot.
    Jeff Harbin
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    a well done portrait. I like it.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Ooh, yes, this could lead to something! But at the moment my major reaction is that your lens is splashed with beer, and that I do not have one clue to save me about what that face is conveying, other than that I feel vulnerable in the crotch ;o) Keep going, please. You, NOT her!!!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 27, 2008
    cbsnet wrote:
    Cool shot. A little clockwork orange look on the face.

-carl

Good spotting!

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    I really like this image. Eyes are oversharpened, I think that might turn some judges off. Other than that, with a great title, this could be a contender! Nice work thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited January 27, 2008
    Feedback
    Thanks everyone for your feedback so far. I am thinking I may attempt a reshoot tonight. I have a couple of other ideas brewing as well.
    Jeff Harbin
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    I don't know that the eyes are oversharpened. I'd like to see the image in various sharpening levels to decide.

For this, your title will lead us. Perhaps a softer sharpening with some title that indicates invitation or seduduction; a harsher sharpening to go along with a dangerous, creepy sort of title?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited January 28, 2008
    "Seduction"
    Well, I did not get to reshoot it tonight, but I did do an edit of the original post. Skin is a lot smoother, less sharpening on the eye and some other tweeking. What do you think?

"Seduction" ?

2229241924_06c81f9111_o.jpg
    Jeff Harbin
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I'm not sure what the christmas lights add to this image or if they are simply a distraction? the post processing of your second version is much better! The center of focus is definately the eye, one improvement I could mention would be the lower half of the face... lighting it more and adding some lipstick to accentuate the mouth would give it more of a seductive feel... I think seeing more of your subject overall and getting rid of the Christmas lights would help improve this image...
    edited January 28, 2008
    tinfish, I don't think it is succeeding yet, but I still think it has potential. The look to me has a definite negative feel - anger, threat. Not seduction. But, of course, the emotion is your choice - just that the title is a mismatch for me. In real life, I have never seen such a look associated with seduction. In comix, yes, I have.

And what if we follow that idea? That is, enlarge on a comix look. In other words, go further into abstraction. Maybe you were heading that direction with your initiial instinct for very hard sharpness and the flares?

I feel it also needs dramatic perspective cues (it's all upfront and flat) but minimally achieved. Maybe the light blooms could do it, making a trail into a background, different colors and edges?

I would really like to see it take on the qualities of a comix frame, with a more graphicised treatment and the inclusion of comix elements, which are already there in beginning form.