Lens suggestions? (I'm sure it's been covered!)

52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited January 27, 2008 in People
But I'll be danged if I can do a search and find what I'm looking for! "Suggestions" and "Lens" seems to be in about 70% of the posts when I search.
:scratch
So, any suggestions on a lens geared toward "people" photography? ([FONT=&quot][/FONT]I'm going to have a new "subject" to focus on in slightly less than 9 months!) :barb

Right now I have a 10-22mm which seems to give our doggies big heads when I get fairly close, and the box 18-55 that came with my 20d. I'd like to get something sharper like the 10-22, but without the big headedness.

Any suggestions or pointers on where to look would be appreciated!!

Thanks Much,
Eric

Comments

• FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    52Caddy wrote:
    But I'll be danged if I can do a search and find what I'm looking for! "Suggestions" and "Lens" seems to be in about 70% of the posts when I search.
    headscratch.gif
    So, any suggestions on a lens geared toward "people" photography? (I'm going to have a new "subject" to focus on in slightly less than 9 months!) wings.gif

Right now I have a 10-22mm which seems to give our doggies big heads when I get fairly close, and the box 18-55 that came with my 20d. I'd like to get something sharper like the 10-22, but without the big headedness.

Thanks Much,
    Eric

I had some close friends who had a "new subject" about 3 years ago and I sort of became the unofficial official photographer from probably about day 2 on. They say they could probably wall paper his bedroom with the number of pictures I have taken... That being said, although everything you read says that flash doesn't harm even newborn eyes I didn't want to be constantly popping the flash at him, so I decided to pickup some fast glass, but at the time had almost no budget to do so, so I ended up with the "thrifty 50", the Canon 50mm f/1.8. I found that even in normal indoor light it allowed me to keep reasonable shutter speeds with 800 speed film (I hadn't made the transition to digital at this point.) If I was doing it again today I would take a hard look at the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, assuming that I was in a position that I could afford it. I've actually recently purchased this lens after renting several times because I have been so impressed with its versatility and image quality.
    --Travis
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    52Caddy wrote:
    headscratch.gif
    So, any suggestions on a lens geared toward "people" photography? ([FONT=&quot][/FONT]I'm going to have a new "subject" to focus on in slightly less than 9 months!) wings.gif

Thanks Much,
    Eric

Personally, I LOVE my 24-70 f/2.8 It's a bit bigger than the 18-55...but has been sooo worth it. I hardly ever take it off my camera...usually only when I need my 70-200. It's fast enough to work in lower light too.

The shots in this thread : http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=82591 were taken with it.
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Spend 70$ first
    And get yourself the 50mm 1.8
    On APS-C bodies like the 20D its a must have lens for potraints, even dog potraits
    The lens is not that sharp at 1.8(but still pretty sharp), and is simply amazing around F4
    A Few samples for you
    238782055-XL.jpg
    240387168-XL.jpg
    176422030-XL.jpg
    214113433-XL.jpg
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    You didn't say what your budget is?

The 50mm F1.8 runs $70-ish, and is amazing for the price , but can be cantakerous at times. At $300 the 50mm F1.4 would be a great choice. For a bit more than that a Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 ($350). Above that, the sky is the limit. I recently added the Canon17-55 F2.8IS to my bag and it is a pleasure to use. It ran $930 with a hood and shipping. Of these I own the 50mmF1.8, The Tamron 28-75 F2.8, and the Canon 17-55 F2.8IS. I also use a Canon 85..F1.8, but it is quite long for indoor use.

If it were me, The 17-55IS would be the one. It is perfectly suited for an 1.6x sensor and the stabilization plus outstanding image quality...and fast aperature make it a winner.

Good luck, and congradulations!!!

1. Taken with Tamron 28-75mm F2.8

167174328-M.jpg

2.Another with the Tamron. It is a close focuser and will allow some very nice up close and personal shots.

167174109-M.jpg

3.50mm F1.8
    162984226-M.jpg

4. Canon 50mm F1.8
    181823059-M.jpg

5. The rest taken with Canon 17-55 F2.8IS

240062077-M.jpg
    240064523-M.jpg
    240063182-L.jpg
  • sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    52Caddy wrote:
    headscratch.gif
    So, any suggestions on a lens geared toward "people" photography? (I'm going to have a new "subject" to focus on in slightly less than 9 months!) wings.gif

Thanks Much,
    Eric

24-70, 17-55 they are perfect lens for people
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    For portraits, I prefer primes, assuming that you can foot zoom a touch.

For maybe half body to headshots, a Sigma 30mm f1.4 would be nice.

If you are more toward a head and shoulder to head shot, maybe a 50mm f1.8 or a 50mm f1.4, depending on your budget and how often you intend to use it.

If you are looking at more of a tight headshot, maybe a 85mm f1.8.

Good luck.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    I will 2nd the opinon of the 24-70 f2.8 or the newer 17-70 f2.8 for the close in shots if your wanting to stay back a ways...then the 70-200 f2.8.....all tack sharp and I forgot to mention all SIGMA so aliitle easier on the pocket book than canon lenses.....I have shot with sigma well over 20 yrs..........Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website