SF4 - A few ideas

quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited January 29, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I am not thrilled with any of these, but I thought I would get some feedback on which image you think would be strongest so far.

#1 Winterscape
246444032-M.jpg

#2 Snakescape
247706215-M.jpg

#3 Big shoes to fill.
247706309-M.jpg

#4 Tundra Wolf
247706454-M.jpg
heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
facebook
photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.

Strongest photo so far? 22 votes

Winterscape
9% 2 votes
Snakescape
59% 13 votes
Big shoes
22% 5 votes
Tundra Wolf
9% 2 votes

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    #1 Winterscape
    Nice, but doesn't POP

#2 Snakescape
    I voted for this one, it's pretty interesting.

#3 Big shoes to fill.
    same, nice shot, but doesn't hold my interest

#4 Tundra Wolf
    I like wolves and all, but he's kinda too far away and the composition is a little boring =c/
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Thanks Pyro.
    I think the DOF on the snake is off, would have been better if you could see his tail.

Appreciate the feedback. I know the pictures of children can be a bit boring.
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    All intriguing images. I also voted for snakescape if the selections are the above, but if you could reshoot the first one, I'd polarize it and possibly do something to bring out some more detail on the front of the barn.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • LookBothWaysLookBothWays Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Snake is strongest of this set. At first you are not sure what it is and then whoa! Creepy!
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    All intriguing images. I also voted for snakescape if the selections are the above, but if you could reshoot the first one, I'd polarize it and possibly do something to bring out some more detail on the front of the barn.

I also voted for the snake, but a reshoot with the barn and polarizer and I believe there is new snow???
    edited January 28, 2008
    Does anyone like the ballet photo better in b&w? If not I am going to keep shooting I think .... I fear the snake can't stand up to the other "story" entries.

248605164-M.jpg
    facebook
    photoblog

edited January 29, 2008
    you know what I just though of when I saw your full version. i think it would behoof you to separate the colors a bit (the head from the background). eiher with different hue,brightness or saturation. I'd try all 3 and see which one works best.
    edited January 29, 2008
    Thanks Pyro. Thoughts on what people don't like about the other shot? Girl is not cute enough? (not mine so no offense, this was just a portrait session)
    I am trying to understand if the story is not working or the composition.
    facebook
    photoblog

edited January 29, 2008
    quark wrote:
    Thanks Pyro. Thoughts on what people don't like about the other shot? Girl is not cute enough? (not mine so no offense, this was just a portrait session)
    I am trying to understand if the story is not working or the composition.

It's not a bad shot. In fact it's a solid photo. But there is nothing "extra" about it. Kid shots especially need to be different enough from every other kid shot we've seen to grab our attention. To see what I mean, jump over to the winners gallery, and look at the shots of the kids who qualified. They all have that je ne sais quoi.