NHL All_Star Hockey

BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
edited January 28, 2008 in Sports
EDIT: Check out my pictures 4 posts down in this thread..not bad from the Upper Deck

I am fortunate enough to have tickets to tonights All-Star game...looking for tips on shooting hockey. I went last night to the Superskills Challenge and am very upset with myself. Go to the game....but left the flash card at the house.

Here is my equipment:
Canon XT
85-200L f4

I know I am not going to get professional shots...but am hoping to get something worth keeping. Need tips on settings, etc. How do i handle all that white ice?
My tickets are third row upper level in the corner...great seats for watching...not so great for photography. But I do want to shoot some shots...not everyday I get to go to the NHL All-Star game.

I really wish I had not screwed up last night...each player was wearing their own team uniform...tonight they will be wearing East or West sweaters. Last night was lots of colors...what an idiot I was and to top it off, I dropped a $5 hot dog face down on the floor...I went hungry.

Comments

• sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    I am fortunate enough to have tickets to tonights All-Star game...looking for tips on shooting hockey. I went last night to the Superskills Challenge and am very upset with myself. Go to the game....but left the flash card at the house.

Here is my equipment:
    Canon XT
    85-200L f4

I know I am not going to get professional shots...but am hoping to get something worth keeping. Need tips on settings, etc. How do i handle all that white ice?
    My tickets are third row upper level in the corner...great seats for watching...not so great for photography. But I do want to shoot some shots...not everyday I get to go to the NHL All-Star game.

I really wish I had not screwed up last night...each player was wearing their own team uniform...tonight they will be wearing East or West sweaters. Last night was lots of colors...what an idiot I was and to top it off, I dropped a $5 hot dog face down on the floor...I went hungry.

I think, if i understand where you are shooting from, that unless you have some very long lens and a very fast shutter speed, your hockey shoot will be kind of difficult.
    You will be too far away and have no light. The Ice is not the problem, the Ice actually helps.
    Have a good time at the game.
  • john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Hi there. Nothing ventured nothing gained. There a lots of hockey shooters on this site so you should get some advice. I'm just starting out but I would suggest you shoot in raw, set you camera on AV at f4. You might be able to set your white balance off the ice but will probably have to do some pp on the computer later. Also set your iso to 1600 or as high as it will go. You may get a lot of noise but you should get some pics. Lots of luck. I shoot 4 and 5 year olds who even at that age are beginning to play good hockey.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Howdy-

I am by no means an expert in photography but have been a hockey fan for 30+ years. I have taken my P&S to quite a few games. i took this photo from about where you are describing, I think. You can get good photos of the atmosphere but probably not in close action shots from just about anywhere in the rink. So don't let the seats and angle keep you from taking shots.

214240535-M.jpg
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Couple of my shots from the upper deck
    Philps Arena in Atlanta, Georgia

248181254-XL.jpg

Several of the East team All-Stars

248180151-X2.jpg

A glove save by the East

248180765-X2.jpg

Just before the Hat Trick by the West's Nash

248181889-X2.jpg
  • sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    great shots
  • john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Great pics. Don't you just hate all that netting? You may find shooting hockey can become addictive.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Very nice
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact