Moving photos

David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
edited January 27, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I have a large gallery of about 2500 photos that I used to upload my images to all at once then move to new galleries from that. That way I don't have down time between groups to upload them on my connection. The problem I am having is with both expert and regular when trying to move about 75 or 80 at a time, the browser window just times out. I have waited until the thumbs load on both versions then start moving but the browser times out and the photos never get moved. Is it not made to work with this many photos?? Thanks in advance.

David

www.phabulousphotos.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    I have a large gallery of about 2500 photos that I used to upload my images to all at once then move to new galleries from that. That way I don't have down time between groups to upload them on my connection. The problem I am having is with both expert and regular when trying to move about 75 or 80 at a time, the browser window just times out. I have waited until the thumbs load on both versions then start moving but the browser times out and the photos never get moved. Is it not made to work with this many photos?? Thanks in advance.

David

www.phabulousphotos.com
    What browser are you using, and how much system resources to you have? This is a huge operation and will require a fair bit of compute energy on your machine....
  • David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    What browser are you using, and how much system resources to you have? This is a huge operation and will require a fair bit of compute energy on your machine....

I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 5400 processor 2gb mem
    Windows XP SP2 1.6TB drive space. This system has just recently
    been built. I used Firefox and Safari on Windows with the same result.

I had the problem on my laptop with Intel Core Duo Centrino with 1GB mem and Vista. I used IE and Firefox on that.

I would even time out doing as little as 5 or 6 with that many.
    edited January 27, 2008
    ALL Day
    Wow I have tried all day on two different machines and managed to move about 50 photos. I uploaded all at once to maximize my time thinking it would not be a big deal. Especially maximizing the time I was sleeping and at work. This however has not worked out. Is this just to much for smug to handle in it current state? I really enjoy the site but all day to move 50 photos in a large gallery is just really hard to understand. Is this something that is being worked on?? Your support and interest with the community is outstanding, I hope we can find a quick answer to this..
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Is this just to much for smug to handle in it current state?

Hi, it's not SmugMug-dependent at all.

Give us the link to the gallery and we'll see what we can do okay? Send email to our help desk, attn: Andy in the subject line.
    edited January 27, 2008
    On the way...
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, it's not SmugMug-dependent at all.

Give us the link to the gallery and we'll see what we can do okay? Send email to our help desk, attn: Andy in the subject line.

Thanksclap.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008

David

www.phabulousphotos.com

This won't help with your current problem, but it's an idea for the future.

FYI, I use StarExplorer for exactly this problem. It lets my upload as many images as I want across a whole bunch of differnet galleries, all in one unattended session. I got it originally because I do kid sports teams and I usually end up with around 500 photos in about 15 galleries. This way, I just drag drop all the photos into the right galleries right in StarExplorer and just say go and it uploads them across all the galleries without me having to be around. If there's a problem anytime during the upload (network, Smugmug, even a system crash or power outage, etc...), it has a persistent queue so it can just resume where it left off.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question