Where Have 20 Themed Rounds Brought You?

HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
edited February 25, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Now that 20 themed LPS rounds are in the can, let's reflect on the progress we've made, where we intend to go from here.

For me, it was an exercise of discipline to keep entering round after round, trying to keep to a theme, giving me a chance to learn what skills I do and don't have, shooting stuff that isn't what I would normally be shooting. I started in on LPS 6, and even if I couldn't come in with a winner, I still entered every round from that point on. Even though I knew my SF2 entry was horrible, I entered it.

The value of cropping from the original capture to hone in on what I'm trying to express, much more than centering an off-center horse, but balancing an image. Maybe I do too much of this now, but I didn't do any of it before. I learned a lot of ways NOT to light a subject. Now to see if I can do it right in the future!

It's been a priveledge to be included with a lot of great talent, some very developed and others just starting out. Here's hoping we all come back for the next installment with an even higher level of quality and committment!

Added: I have to say that I also have gained a bit higher sense of humility. I had a certain opinion as to where I stood amongst equi-togs, but coming in here, I get to see that there are a lot of really, really, great photographers out there, and most of them happen to NOT be pros. I believe that LPS has brought a freshness to my show photos that I was losing. I go for the harder, more challenging, shots at a show, not just the standard same old. For that I have to thank you all...
Mark
www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..

Comments

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Well, lets see, I used to be better at articulating what I feel but the older I get the worse it gets.

I'm not really sure why I started to enter. I would hear hints about it from others on daily photos so I finally managed to stop by and see what it was about. Also a friend of mine was entering so the more I seen the more intrigued I became.

I have not been involved in it very long but I must say for me it has been a roller coaster ride. Of course I enjoy winning but there is just more to it than I had expected. I found myself getting up, dusting off, and trying to come up with another entry. That alone has made parts of my brain work that I thought might be expiring.:D

I have learned that I need to learn a lot more, I need to read more, try more things and shoot as much as I can. I view my work and others differently now and I feel that's a good thing. I realize we all have our own take on things but I find myself noticing so much more in a shot than I did before and that in itself is an awaking to creativity that I find captivating.

I push myself harder, sure I get bummed but I have learned to appreciate me and know that I did the best I could do with the skill level and knowledge I have.

I have a great friend that has never stopped encouraging me and for that I am grateful.
    HoofClix Here's hoping we all come back for the next installment with an even higher level of quality and commitment!
    In total agreement with you.

Peace, gail

The hardest part was when we weren't getting any feedback. That helped me so much and not having it was difficult, very difficult.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Mark, thank you for posting this! I was contemplating starting a similar thread because I'd really been mulling this over the past couple days. I wondered what it would be like to actually "see" the progression from first entry to last...so forgive me, but my reply is going to be a bit long. mwink.gif

Before I entered LPS, I shot on full auto mode. I thought of this as my best photograph ever taken to date in my life:
    90285128-Th.jpg

I wandered around the threads in this forum for a year or so before I stumbled into the contests and challenges area. LPS 9 was under way. The words for that theme really struck a chord with me. I had just started taking an intro to photography class during that summer, and I was just getting used to full manual mode and learning what all the dials did on my camera. I still think my idea was sound, but the execution was a bit off:
    172853733-Th.jpg

My focus missed, despite my efforts with appropriate depth of field. I later learned a neat trick in these forums for ensuring eyes were in focus for self-portraits: sit where you're going to pose and focus the camera on the tripod; switch to manual focus and place the camera on the tripod, then reclaim your place and click away. This would help me in later rounds immensely.

I also learned my story wasn't strong enough, so I tried something much more daring and requiring more PS work than I'd previously done with my photos:
    235928804-Th.jpg

This was my first time staging a shot with a model and props, and I found it very addicting. I write for a living and dabble in fiction writing in my spare time. I've also been a bit of a schizophrenic artist all my life: if it's an art, I've done it, bouncing around like mad. I loved drawing, but I could only draw things I could see, not the things I could imagine in my head. I used writing as my outlet for that, because I could describe what I saw in my head quite well. With an LPS word to kick-start my literary mind, I began looking at my camera as a way to bring those pictures I could never draw to life.

I never viewed photography in this light before. I was out to capture what I saw, not create what I imagined. But realizing from my LPS 10 image what I truly had available at my fingertips, I went sort of wild with staging shots. It got me absolutely punch-drunk in love with photography, and it led to my very first qualifying photo in LPS 11:
    188252121-Th.jpg

Reading about other photographers and viewing their images was not something I'd ever done before, but many folks mentioned doing that here on the boards and I got some exposure in the intro class I mentioned above. This ghostly image was a result of hearing about light-painting and was a pure experiment. I'd never played with light before, and reading LiquidAir's how-to's after rounds really kicked my thinking up a notch where photography is concerned. Seeing the amazing stories Shatch and Sherstone captured also pushed me to stop and think through several ideas instead of jumping at the first one that popped into my head. They also challenged me to tell a full story with my images, and this led to my second qualifying entry:
    235932315-Th.jpg

I had seen many comments talk about "what a nice conversion" when B&Ws were posted for critique around here, as well as questions about how the conversion was done. I never had any idea there was more than one way to convert to black and white, or that you could achieve so many variations with so few settings! This blew my mind, honestly. I had also finished my intro photography course and had begun a night photography one, so this new knowledge about conversions and new techniques I was learning about shooting at night led to my next entry:
    201503395-Th.jpg

The Sin or Virtue entry that played on Dante's Inferno made me remember how much I loved medieval lit. and mythology. I began to wonder how I might capture some of those myths on "film": how to make something fantastical look like it could be real:
    207599998-Th.jpg

At this point, I had a business conference that got in the way of LPS 15. I thought, "Whew! I've already qualified twice. I can tone things down a bit," and I got a little lazy:
    212492859-Th.jpg

At the time I knew this was not my best work and was okay with entering it. After the round completed, however, I was really disappointed in myself. I mentally chastised myself for having come so far and learned so much only to suddenly take a "meh" kind of attitude. The semifinal, my first, was next, so I knew I had to step things up. I really challenged myself to learn more about lighting and purchased my first off-camera strobe to step things up a notch:
    235932454-Th.jpg

This became one of my favorite images ever to have taken, and I was so crushed when it didn't qualify. I got turned off of staging my shots after this because I felt it just wasn't paying off for me:
    235932529-Th.jpg

By now I had learned enough about lighting, and gotten so many compliments on the lighting I achieved with "To Kill a King," to know that the above entry for the "Flash or Ambient" round was much too flat. It didn't make me like the photo less, but it snapped my attention back to just how important lighting is. And it showed me mopey is not a good mood to go out shooting in. :D

I once again turned my mind to stories and challenging myself to "think outside the box" and find something new and different. Not cliché:
    235932659-Th.jpg

The "Flash or Ambient" round brought up the great "PS/no PS" debate again, so it was heavy on my mind when I shot the above for "Decay." I was determined to set my post-processing tricks at the very minimum and do everything in camera. I had to set my PS crutch aside and think of other ways to accomplish the image that had popped into my head. Flour and water to the rescue!

Honestly, these rounds have turned me into a bit of a mad scientist for problem-solving these days. It's an after effect I'm truly enjoying. :D

Since "Fractured" qualified me for the next semi, and I had family coming for Christmas, I sat out the next round. I was tired, drained, and I wanted a break. It's the only round I skipped since starting back at LPS 9, and while those two weeks were filled with holiday busy-ness and goodness, I mentally kicked myself for not continuing to challenge myself. That was, after all, why I'd started here in the first place.

I jumped back in for the next round, and my focus was again on lighting and conversions. I had read some of Vincent Versace's Welcome to Oz and had learned more about ways to better photograph architecture (something I love to do), so I tried to apply this new knowledge to my next entry:
    239617687-Th.jpg

I also went after that image to prove--to my fellow competitors, friends who had been watching my progress, and myself--that I could take everything I'd learned and apply it to a "normal" picture. Something unstaged. I still feel, though this image didn't garner me another qualification, that it is truly one of my best to date. I will be printing it large to hang in my home, I'm so danged proud of it. This image, above all, I feel reflects everything I learned by participating in LPS and allowing myself to be influenced by the talent here and their own influences.

I applied all that learning again to my LPS 20 entry:
    242972487-Th.jpg

Another dud, as far as judging goes, but darned if I don't love this SP of me to death. Makes a pretty durned cool avatar, at the very least. mwink.gif

In short, I learned about how to tell a story, how to light an image effectively, how to use DOF to emphasize parts of a photo, how to effectively and variably create black-and-white images, how to make a photo "pop," and much, much more. It all culiminated in my current SF entry, which is not a photo I ever would have imagined myself taking a year ago:
    246363549-Th.jpg

I apologize for the long-windedness of this post, but this has been rolling through my mind for a couple days now: how much I've really learned from LPS. It's flabbergasting. I know I mentioned a few folks by name above, but I learned from every one every time they posted feedback, or asked for feedback, or debated what a photograph is or isn't. You all have taught me so much, and for that I'd like to extend a heartfelt "THANK YOU." iloveyou.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Even though I did not participate nearly as much as I'd hoped, I've enjoyed observing the process and seeing other people's growth. Kerry, that was a fantastic write-up of your own experience, and it was great to review your pics, too! What a tremendous year you've had!

Congratulations to all of you who have pursued growth and creativity via LPS.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Although I wish that I had faired better (especially in the latter part) of LPS, I had this idea in my mind that I should go and gather all of my LPS images. It has taken me a good hour or two, mostly because I had to search through the archives to even find what I had entered (just proves that I could improve on my PC organization!). Although there are about seven that I am not very fond of, that still leaves 12 images that I am very proud of and that would never exist if it were not for these challenges. At the same time, it was fun to look at how the general calibre of entries has grown over the past year too. Well done everyone! I can't wait to see what eye candy we'll get for the SF and finals and I am especially looking forward to what the new LPS has in store for us!

248159822-M.jpg
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Look at this stuff! I think its great, especially now that all this time has gone by, to have you folks put your series of entries in one place really helps me to remember each of you with a style.. I won't put up a collage, but I've kept mine all in a special gallery as the rounds have gone on:
    http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/gallery/3091212/2/235334436#236820062
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited January 27, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    ... I won't put up a collage, but I've kept mine all in a special gallery as the rounds have gone on...

See... that's the organization that I lack!!! I'm envious! bowdown.gif
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    It's bought me to the point of panic!!!!

The quality of work from the start of the competition to now is World's apart and with the final shoot-out just around the corner, I'm feeling woefully innadequate.

I've sat out these last 5 rounds because of work and because I wanted to build a killer concept for the final two weeks (assuming an Open theme), but as much as I have learnt through my own entries and thought processes in approaching themes, I've learnt so much more from the rest of you - which means you all still know more than I do.

I am so screwed for the final.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
    edited January 28, 2008
    It's bought me to the point of panic!!!!

The quality of work from the start of the competition to now is World's apart and with the final shoot-out just around the corner, I'm feeling woefully innadequate.

I've sat out these last 5 rounds because of work and because I wanted to build a killer concept for the final two weeks (assuming an Open theme), but as much as I have learnt through my own entries and thought processes in approaching themes, I've learnt so much more from the rest of you - which means you all still know more than I do.

I am so screwed for the final.

Regards,

Peter

Please remember that you made it to the finals. Relatively speaking, not many people can say that... I'm sure you'll come up with something awesome! Good luck!
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    A lot has been said so far and I share all of it. I started photography seriously less than 2 years ago, so I am not a "pro" by far. So, every theme that came with LPS was a new situation for me, 2 weeks of torture to figure it out! Now, let's put another perspective to it;

1. I started to take picture for my own pleasure. People around me said: "hey! I like your images, your composition are really creative!" So I started to look at others, I was so far from good you would not imagine!

2. Then, I subscribe to PhotoSIG. As a beginners, I learned a lot but it became so much "pixel" pipping after a while. I guess it becomes so negative like everything I did sucked. So, I stayed away from it and joined Smugmug.

3. LPS the saved me! What a positive way to learn. Looking at what is good, what makes people love an image. Because of LPS, I am improving all the time. The format is awesome not like any other contest. There is follow-up, there is feedback and you can try again. This is what is pushing me to get better.

Again, I am struggling so much to come up with SF4 image, you would not believe it; pushing my limit to do something I never did before. May be two weeks might be a little short but I sure strive to make the final in 2008, or whatever as it is not so important after all. I am just thirsty to learn more; I wish that our "virtual community" keep growing and sharing as it is so motivating.

Cheers --Jean-Yves
  • SunsetSailorSunsetSailor Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Comfort Zone???
    I started in round nine and quickly realized I was destined to be in the 2nd or 3rd tier of competitors. What I have learned most from this experience so far is that I know what is great when I see others produce it, what I still haven’t learned is how produce those images in my own viewfinder.

This break is providing me with reflective learning time. I can see now that to jump up a tier, it’s going to take a whole lot more willingness to try lots and lots of new things. I will not give up this process and I sincerely hope the LPS series of contests continues.

Years ago in my first art course in college, we had what was called “art in the dark”. There was big AV screen, we watched an image for about 5 seconds then attempted to reproduce it by just feeling the paper and chalk and our arm and hand movements. The purpose was to get us out of our tried and true skills and mind set. Out of our comfort zone…and into the creative zone. Well these contests and the competitive and talented contributors do that…push us right over the cliff.
    So let’s see if next time I learn to fly even if only a short distance. :photo
    Laura
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Olympus EVolt 500
    [/FONT]
    http://sunsetsailor.smugmug.com
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    I just finished editing and organizing my LPS gallery...

http://vxphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/2547502/1

I started shooting the Dgrin challenges, the last 2 to be exact... Then LPS began... The first qualifying round I made the top 10 in was 6, curvy or angular... I have entered 14 out of 20 qualifying rounds... qualified and made the top 10 in SF 2 and SF 3... currently entered in SF 4... and thinking about what to shoot for the Final... The competition has been great! And I have learned that I'm probably not going to be The Last Photographer Standing but I'll have great fun trying...

Winston
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    10 months later...
    251210831-L.jpg

After a very humbling loss in SF4, I figured it was a great time to recap where the LPS contest has taken me. Put together each round's entries and was pretty amazed to see the growth in these photos. LPS 11 got me into SF3 and was a big jump from what I would normally seek out to photograph. LPS16 got me into SF4 and I was happy to have been 'forced' to take this photo of my son. All told, the 20 LPS rounds have provided me with 5 landscape shots that I am very proud of and 5 portraits of my kids that I may not otherwise have taken.
    Though the losses have been very tough to take, I'll take solace in my growth as a photographer over the past few months. Thank you to everyone involved in creating the LPS, the judges who gave their time and my fellow contestants who guided me with their critiques and suggestions along the way.
    See you in the next LPS...
    Eyal
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Nothing, as I had been gone from smugmug for a while, and when I came back there was this LPS thing, that I never could figure out. I wondered where the 14days challenges had gone, in which I sometimes entered. I have never entered the LPS because I have no clue of how it goes... Totally my fault btw, guess I could have asked someone to explain to me.
    I suppose I am not likely to enter as I have a hard time with those marvellous high tech shots I have seen in some galleries. I am a bulk/documentary shooter, and technique is definitely NOT my strongest shooting point.
    Maybe I should enter after all when they start a new one, just to challenge myself... Although I was challenged enough with the 14th day ones...
    I will keep my eyes open for another LPS to start... (Don't tell me that one just started again...):D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    I'm definitely grateful to Shay, Erik, Andy and the whole dgrin/smugmug community for the LPS. Not only it gave me an opportunity and desire to learn and progress, it also made me aware of many truly amazing artists that are now only a PM/email away! bowdown.gifiloveyou.gif

Below is my LPS1 collection. Most (if not all) of these images would not exist if it were not for this contestdeal.gif . And while only few of them made an official cut, I'm pretty happy with them (let alone the fact that some of them were successfully sold:-) - and I'm pretty happy with the progress I made.

251258212-XL.jpg

The biggest problems for me turned out to be the open-themed rounds combined with complete and utter unpredictability of judging. By the mid year I essentially gave up on the official results and began to shoot for myself and for the C&C of the fellow participants, especially those with whom I was lucky enough to share the general attitude towards the photography.

I'm sure GF will bring us some true masterpieces - and I can't wait for the LPS2 to begin! mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Well, my work didn't make the cut this year--I think my image was 2nd for the old style best of the year deal in 2006. I entered a fair amount of the LPS rounds, but only made one semi. I think the concept was excellent, no complaints. As in all themed challenges I enjoyed having to think up how to best meet it. I would comment that compared to say, dpchallenge where I'm about to enter my 100th competition, my biggest difficulty is figuring out how to please the judges. At dpc an entry might get 120-250 votes. I know what kind of images are "dpc-friendly".

So after that first semi-final, I began to shoot "to please myself", and continued to enter though many of them weren't "dgrin-friendly", as much as I could gauge it.

The BEST thing about LPS, by FAR, has been watching the development of everyone else! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif I enjoyed reading the feedback of the judges as well as indiegirl's unofficial feedback threads.

There was one round where I looked at the images entered, and said, no way am I gonna top the top dozen here (this was before judging.)

(FWIW, I'm a commercial photographer that specializes in horses and companion critters.)
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Now that's a great question
    LPS brought me gray hair...Laughing.gif. It certainly has been interesting as like Nik, many shots wouldn't exist in the galleries if the LPS hadn't pushed me. One of the biggest reasons to participate is that it makes you think. More importantly, it makes you get out your camera and start shooting. The result is with due diligence, you'll end up with some wall hangers!

Part of my problem has been choosing the correct photo for the challenge...they only allow one...how goofy is that???? :D In any case, below is what I've come up with.....don't think I forgot any but it's possible. No particular order. BTW....LPS "made" me go out and shoot to where I may not have....some shots have ended up in the portfolio from those outings, even if I didn't enter them. Many many thanks to so many here that have given me input and feedback....you truly are a blessing.

I'll never forget Nik & Liquid Air going back and forth on one of my entries....I'd change it, post it, they'd reply immediately..this went on for an hour..Laughing.gif.

253986921_GwCEs-XL.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    ...I'll never forget Nik & Liquid Air going back and forth on one of my entries....I'd change it, post it, they'd reply immediately..this went on for an hour..Laughing.gif....
    I remember that one, too.. It was a truly good one:-)thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    I entered half the rounds, much less participation than I intended. I am really looking forward to the new contest and having more time to devote here again in the near future. I miss this community :)

It was fun digging up my entries. While I have a lot to learn, I can really track my growth in these shots. This contest has been a classroom more than anything. I thank you all for the engaging work over the past year.

Also, I LOVE how the community continued with the "backstage" and "unofficial feedback" threads even after I was not here to yammer on and on! I sort of felt like a dorky cheerleader when I started those threads in an effort to get us talking--and it seemed like the dialogue proved to be a really important part of the process. Hurrah!

254339602_ZLzjK-S.jpg

151002783_iRAa2-S.jpg

254339286_xVASU-S.jpg

165214586_778dx-S.jpg

174159066_H5jHe-S.jpg

254339800_uWGsA-S.jpg

196112080_ZRHQ6-S.jpg

202390712_9UH8h-S.jpg

214007578_THmT9-S.jpg
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    I was horrible as far as taking pictures for it. Maybe next time around. I did always come to vote though. Really interesting to see different peoples wildly different takes on the same subject.
    I'll be in it next go round.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    This contest has been a fantastic exercise in pushing myself to the next level. I am incredibly grateful for every loss, as much if not more than the times I jumped for joy in getting through to the next round! I still gravitate toward people photography more than I probably should, but I think I got better at conceptual photos that happened to include a portrait, rather than just a depiction. I am very excited about the next LPS!

254480061_cCjsN-XL.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    25 rounds, 25 entries. Little did I know what I was in for when I started this epic. It began with a personal goal of learning how to use strobes effectively, but I have picked up a lot more along the way. Everything I do, from ideas to camera work to post, is more sophisticated than it was a year ago. They are not all my best work, but I learned something from every entry and getting off my duff each two weeks to shoot something for the competition was a great exercise.

Anyhow here they all are as a slide show and in tile form:

255818160_U59Py-O.jpg
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Anyhow here they all are as a slide show and in tile form:
    Exceptional work !
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 25, 2008
    It's been a great year! Even though I didn't have time or sometimes inspiration to participate in every single round, it did push me on the occasions when I did. Having to produce a fresh photo every fortnight, with all the planning and execution and post-production included, can be a real challenge. I learned so much and enjoyed the supportive and friendly spirit of the community. bowdown.gif

LPS-MyEntries3.jpg

Getting to three semi finals and achieving 11th place in the grand finale is so much more than I could possibly have hoped for in the beginning of the LPS, especially with all the great photographers here! But it was them who made me push myself even harder. Thanks everbody! clap.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com