SF4...Uninspired.

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited January 28, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have been without a camera for 4 weeks, and it just now returned from repair. You'd think I'd be bursting with ideas, but I'm a little rusty it seems in the creativity department. This portrait conveys my melancholy...what do you think?

247815134-L.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    What a fantastic expression you captured! clap.gif I love the emotion here. Overall it's a bit too high key for my personal taste, but I love how it accentuates the detail and clarity in the eyes.

Wonderful portrait. thumb.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    What a fantastic expression you captured! clap.gif I love the emotion here. Overall it's a bit too high key for my personal taste, but I love how it accentuates the detail and clarity in the eyes.

Wonderful portrait. thumb.gif

Thanks Kerry, I may work on toning down the lights, I just edited for where I wanted the skin. You've been doing some amazing portrait work lately (your avatar is soooo awesome!) so I am flattered you like the shot so much! Thanks for commenting! clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    No camera for 4 weeks! Eeeks! eek7.gif So glad it's back in your creative, capable hands! I love the expression you've captured here, and I also think the conversion, crop and composition is terrific. clap.gif My one little nit is in the left eye (his right) there seems to be a line from a reflection or something, making the lower third of his iris much lighter. Unless his eye actually is like this, I might consider making that area match the rest of his eye. In any case, I can see this printed big!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited January 27, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    No camera for 4 weeks! Eeeks! eek7.gif So glad it's back in your creative, capable hands! I love the expression you've captured here, and I also think the conversion, crop and composition is terrific. clap.gif My one little nit is in the left eye (his right) there seems to be a line from a reflection or something, making the lower third of his iris much lighter. Unless his eye actually is like this, I might consider making that area match the rest of his eye. In any case, I can see this printed big!

Yep, that's a reflection of the white bedding he's laying on, I can't stop looking at it now that you've pointed it out :D. Should be easy enough to PS to match the other eye. Thanks Elaine!!!

So, while I'm glad you think it's a cute pic, I'm wondering if it is a contender? Up until LPS 19 (chocolate cake nirvana) I hadn't entered a shot with him as a model, but I'm feeling like I might be treading in "overused" territory, at least in perception. Thoughts?
    Canon 5D MkI
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    I like it, and it makes me think of Sartre - not necessarily a contradiction!

As you might know, I believe these mod-judges when they attach the motto "Beyond Your Wildest Dreams" to this DGrin contest business. Do you? So what does it say to you? Now they might just be pulling all our legs. Nothing wrong with a little hyperbole among friends, I guess, if they are. But if there is an agenda there then it IS relevant to your photo, don't you think? In other words, if you think this pic is rather normal for you (I think it's lovely!), then how will it appear to the judges if they remember the agenda they have stuck up front? A good rule of thumb in these situations, I tell myself, is to estimate how much the shot has cost you, or its pain value (remember intense pleasure can be very close to pain!). If this shot has been nice and easy all along, I would be suspicious of it. Laughing.gif. And more, a pic's trials can sometimes only begin after the judges have cast their lots. I seem to recall instances of that in art history. Certainly if a pic really DOES have value then it will bring judgment on the judges!

All the best, and thanks for this little philosopher!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Saw it earlier and forgot to answer..

I think it's great. Classic high-key, with the eyeballs as the drawing black point. Perfect expression that says boredom to me. (Not a boring photo, but his mood.) It would have been great for the last LPS!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Great Portrait
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Up until LPS 19 (chocolate cake nirvana) I hadn't entered a shot with him as a model, but I'm feeling like I might be treading in "overused" territory, at least in perception. Thoughts?

Hm, you pose a good question for yourself, Lynne. "Chocolate Cake Nirvana" had a definite story to it, with enough tension that made the viewer wonder, "Will he be able to lick it all off, or will he have to give in to a washcloth and some soap?" It also gave a sense of carefree decadence.

This portrait also has a story, though I don't feel the same tension I did with "Nirvana." I wonder if it's becasue the image first states, "I'm bored," and that leaves the viewer with nothing much to explore after that. Were he surrounded by tons of games and toys and still had this expression, there would be even more to the story there, and the viewer would have a stronger reaction perhaps: "He has all that to play with, and he's still bored? What does he expect?" And we begin to wonder what could engage him (and we're engaged).

So I don't think it's overused territory, it's just being used in a different manner. It really is a fantastic portrait, just lovely light and composition--and such a priceless expression. But a tad more to the story might make this more of a contender.

But I've mentioned my bias for stories, so this is only my perspective. thumb.gif

ETA: I realized some of the tension from "Nirvana" might also be due to the crop and not being able to see his eyes. So this feels more like a apples to oranges comparison, despite the same "model" being photographed.
    edited January 28, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    [snip]...But a tad more to the story might make this more of a contender....[/snip]

I think you've hit the nail on the head...not enough story here! Very thoughtful analysis, Kerry. There was a lot of tension in Nirvana and the absence of eyes was purposeful, to help the viewer be transported, instead of just watching someone else. A story..yeah...that's the ticket! :)

Thanks for helping me iron this one out! thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    ooo wow wonderful ! wings.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited January 28, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    If this shot has been nice and easy all along, I would be suspicious of it.

There is a fine line between the mantra of "play to your strengths" vs. "pain value". A well exposed, picturesque landscape or compelling abstract may be "easy" for someone else, but quite difficult for me, I wouldn't even know where to start. Conversely, an expressive portrait comes easier (in comparison to other types of photography), but maybe not for some. But, you do raise a good point. The pain value is an important concept to ponder internally, for any artist to grow. Thanks for weighing in here!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Hey Lynne,

I'm a little late commenting but I really like the portrait. High-key typically looks best with female subjects since it softens but you pulled it off great here.

As far as LPS...hmmmmm... based on what I have seen thus far, I would be seriously surprised if a portrait (at least one without something entirely dynamic happening around the subject) will be a contender for the LPS title. I know this not what most portrait photographers want to hear especially since capturing an incredible portrait is possibly one of the greatest challenges in photography.

With that said, you are one of the best that I have seen and if anyone can pull off a portrait to stop the judges in their tracks, I'm sure it will be you. The image that comes to mind immediately is the bride/groom image that you posted a few months ago taken on a spiral staircase from above. (I think it was one of the first times that you employed off-camera lighting). I can see an image like that definitely being a front runner.

Good luck!