Options

Good Photoshop mouse?

Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited February 5, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Mods: If this is not really a topic for this room, I apologize.

This Microsoft Optical mouse isn't really the greatest at Photoshop..

What I'm using now..
70686_img01.jpg

I want a track ball, like this... But I've heard of one that has like 10 buttons that are great for browsing the net or whatever you want to program them as. I was told one has a weighted scroll wheel..

Something like this.. But not the one w/ the ball in the center.
12_1_b.jpg

Opinions? Questions? Comments??

Thancks for the help! :D
Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    I moved this to Digital Darkroom Gear. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2008
    Woops.. SOrry..

THanx bud..

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    I really like the LOGITECH TRACKMAN....ball on the side for thumb operation, rite / left clik buttons and scroll wheel in between...runs about 29.99 wired or 49.99 wireless.....Logitech products have out lasted all the other mice I have ever owned and MS mice lasted the least amount of time plus they just did not feel good top me.....the current trackman I have has been abused for the last 5 yrs and it still works great.

MS trackballs just don't fit my hand right.....the way the logitech is layed out it is just more natural feeling and ergonomic for my hand. Take a look...links below

LOGITECH TRACKMAN WHEEL WIRED

LOGITECH TRACKMAN WHEEL WIRELESS

and their flagship trackball the CORDLESS TRACKMAN OPTICAL

but for photoshop...I really prefer my wacom tablet with wireless styless pen, for me using a pen to do edits and such is much more natural...but that is just me.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Graphic tablet. If your doing photoshop work that needs precision, no mouse out there compares. I'm sure if you compare numbers there are mice that are just as or more precise. But in regards to ease of use and how you can follow contours. Nothing out there will beat a good tablet.

Tablets feel very awkward and take a bit of time getting used to. But once you get the hang of it. Even the most precise mouse will feel clunky compared to it.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Yup...the best mouse for Photoshop is not a mouse, it's a Wacom tablet.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    I have the cheap Wacom Graphire, which served me very well until I got a second monitor, after which it suddenly (and understandably--due to the increased area it needed to cover) became really inaccurate. The nice thing is that it came with a mouse and a stylus, so that I could go back and forth, depending on my needs.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2008
    SWEET!! :ivar Thanx guys! This optical mouse feels REALLY clunky, come to think of it.. Sometimes when I run out of pad, I have to GENTLY lift and GENTLY reset the mouse.. *throws pad across room.. Uses black desktop* Then sometimes it 'sticks'.. When you need precision, sticking is NOT COOL! :pissed I just don't like dragging a mouse across a pad to do work.. It's kind of heavy.. Then you find yourself almost white knuckling the mouse. I've learned to be really gentle with it and not apply so much pressure.

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I really like the LOGITECH TRACKMAN....ball on the side for thumb operation, rite / left clik buttons and scroll wheel in between...runs about 29.99 wired or 49.99 wireless.....

LOGITECH TRACKMAN WHEEL WIRED

LOGITECH TRACKMAN WHEEL WIRELESS

but for photoshop...I really prefer my wacom tablet with wireless styless pen, for me using a pen to do edits and such is much more natural...but that is just me.

15524779-Ti.gif15524779-Ti.gif On both accounts
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    LindaMLindaM Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 28, 2008
    Wacom tablet... there is no substitute. I:ivar
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    colourbox wrote:

im getting one of these one day...:D

but in the meantime i have that big microsoft mouse sorta thing....
    natural 6000 wireless

it helps with my hand pain.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    im getting one of these one day...:D

but in the meantime i have that big microsoft mouse sorta thing....
    natural 6000 wireless

That is one reason I really like the Logitech TrackMan's.....jsut so ergo comfy rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    That is one reason I really like the Logitech TrackMan's.....jsut so ergo comfy rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

I got this like 6 years ago. Use it on my MPB. Logitech Cordless Trackman FX Optical aka Marble

419CAX1MF5L._SS500_.jpg
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    sesshinsesshin Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I use a gaming mouse for Photoshop work. They usually have the best accuracy to target stuff on the pixel level.

I have an old Logitech G5 that I like a lot. You can actually vary the weight on it to give it more drag
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G5-Laser-Mouse-931376-0403/dp/B000AY5YI4

But for precise adjustments on curves with lots of points, or painting in layer masks, I always go for the Wacom tablet. It just so much easier that way.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    Careful w/ the tablets then. I have on old work wrist injury that really goes nuts if I use my tablet for more than a half hour.

But I usuallyonly use the tablet for bref periods then switch back to my mouse for "normal" work.
  • Options
    sesshinsesshin Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Careful w/ the tablets then. I have on old work wrist injury that really goes nuts if I use my tablet for more than a half hour.

But I usuallyonly use the tablet for bref periods then switch back to my mouse for "normal" work.

You might want to look at your wrist angle for that. I have a wrist injury too and found setting the tablet in my lap as opposed to on the table helps a lot because the angle isn't as severe. Ymmv.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    Thanks for that tip. I'll check that out! thumb.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

your right im sure, i have thought about it and im sure that i couldnt hold the pen for more than 15 minutes before my knuckles start burning...
    im not a wimp...i just choose not to be in pain:D

i will probably just stick to the big 6000 mouse.....

as for advice to what to use? heck if i know....im waiting for that computer
    tom cruise used in the movie "minority report"
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Use a logitech mx518 gaming mouse. 2 buttons on top by the scroller let you slow or speed up mouse movement. Great for pixel to pixel movement also great for FPS Games when Sniping is involved :D

And the other buttons are programmable for more use, tho I haven't done so for Photoshop, just gaming.
  • Options
    nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Logitech MX Revolution
    This is my favorite mouse for Photoshop.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/130&cl=us,en

Easy to configure and ergonimal for my big hands.

Although I'm a lefty, I control the mouse (accurately) with my right hand. I exclusively use my left hand for the keyboard commands. Most of keyboard functions on the right side are controlled by the mouse.

The side mounted thumb wheel controls zoom and clicking on it takes the document to 100% view.

The two side buttons control brush size.

The main scroll wheel (tilts also) navigates me through the document.

Once I got used to this set up, every other mouse feels obsolete.

Nikos
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    colourbox wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member