Budget about $400.00
Any recommendations appreciated.
Thank You

Comments

• RevisionRevision Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 27, 2008
    Big difference in lens to subject distance at 1:1 ratio between
    60mm and 90-105 mm micro lenses.
    With the 60mm you will be nearly touching the subject and lighting options become very limited.
    If you as many do will use the lens for other purposes than micro, bokeh and sharpness at non-micro distances become a consideration.
    I am very happy with my Tamron 90mm. It has a nice bokeh and works well as a portrait lens.
    Look up Bjorn Rorslett's review of the Nikkor 60mm micro before you buy it. Tom Hogan has a review of the Tamron 90mm at the end of his review of the Nikkor 105mm VR.
    Regards,
    Renato (former Staten Islander)
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Most macros are darn good.
    I have a Canon mount and had the Tokina 100mm macro. It's a very nice lens. AF is slow and it extends out when focusing. This may or may not be a big deal, depending on your needs. There is a bit more CA on this lens than other macros, though I haven't found it to be a problem. I think Toke's are built to feel similar to Nikon's in my view, which may be a good thing for Nikon owners.

Another great lens is a Tamron 90mm macro. It's lighter and more plasticky. Optics are great. They also extend with focusing. They tend to be more expensive than Toke's, although you can often find them with a $80 rebate from Tamron USA.

Another great lens is a Sigma 70mm macro. It's a new lens and according to popphoto.com, the sharpest lens in the Sigma line up. Looking at other reviews, it's optically stellar. My buddy has one in Canon mount and It feels solid, but too extends with focusing. If you are looking for a slightly more versatile range on a cropped sensor, a 70mm maybe a good choice. Unless you want a 100mm reach, I'd consider this one for sure.

Of course Nikon's new 105mm VR micro lens is a great lens, but it's expensive. If money is a factor, I'd seriously consider the third parties.

Photozone.de has reviews of most if not all of these lenses, so you may want to take a look over there.

Having said all that, most macro/micro lenses are optically excellent and you may want to make your decision more based on focal length, price, and features, rather than outright difference in sharpness.

Good luck.