Transferring a photo from CS3 Extended

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited January 28, 2008 in Finishing School
I am using Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended and I have been doing a panoramic photo using photomerge. I transferred the three photos from My Documents into Photoshop and when I finished the panoramic photo I wanted to send it back into My Documents. I used the usual route File, save as, but when I open it in My Docs I find not only the photo has been transferred but the whole background of Photoshop. Can anyone please tell me how to transfer the photo only.
Kind regards

Bob

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    What do you mean by:
    but the whole background of Photoshop

A screen grab in this situation is worth more than a thousand words thumb.gif
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    What do you mean by:

A screen grab in this situation is worth more than a thousand words thumb.gif

When I open the transferred photo ( which appears as a TIFF ) in 'My Docs' it not only opens the photo but it also shows the whole background of CS3 where I have been working on the photo. I only want the photo to transfer.
    If I emailed you the photo you would also get CS3 where I had been working on the photo. Please help.

Bob
    edited January 28, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    When I open the transferred photo ( which appears as a TIFF ) in 'My Docs' it not only opens the photo but it also shows the whole background of CS3 where I have been working on the photo. I only want the photo to transfer.
    If I emailed you the photo you would also get CS3 where I had been working on the photo. Please help.

Bob

I think I should have also said to make myself clear. When I open the TIFF icon in 'My Docs' it opens back again in CS3 where I initially started.

Bob
    edited January 28, 2008
    Hey 400d,

I'm sorry but I'm still not completely sure what your saying. I assume your running a PC. so do this:

Get all your windows up so you can see all the things your talking about on your computer screen. Hit the "print screen" button (it's right above the arrows on your keyboard.

Then open the Microsoft app called "Paint" it's located at Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint

Then just hit these two buttons together. "Ctrl+V" This will paste your screen grab into Paint.

Then File>Save As to your desktop and the upload to your smugmug site and link the picture or attach it ina post.

I'm sure after I see what your talking about. It will make perfect sense thumb.gif
    edited January 28, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Hey 400d,

I'm sorry but I'm still not completely sure what your saying. I assume your running a PC. so do this:

Get all your windows up so you can see all the things your talking about on your computer screen. Hit the "print screen" button (it's right above the arrows on your keyboard.

Then open the Microsoft app called "Paint" it's located at Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint

Then just hit these two buttons together. "Ctrl+V" This will paste your screen grab into Paint.

Then File>Save As to your desktop and the upload to your smugmug site and link the picture or attach it ina post.

I'm sure after I see what your talking about. It will make perfect sense thumb.gif

Thanks for your trouble. However, I have found a solution by playing about most of the day. After I hit 'Save As' The next monologue appears and I change the TIFF to JPEG and hit OK and it only sends the photo leaving CS3 behind. I can then open the photo up in 'My Docs' I apologise for not making myself perfectly clear to you.
    Kind regards

Bob
    edited January 28, 2008
    Glad you figured it outthumb.gif

Make sure you remember how to screen grab though. This way we can answer these questions on the first shot!

Cheers,
    -Jon
    edited January 28, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Make sure you remember how to screen grab though. This way we can answer these questions on the first shot!

Cheers,
    -Jon

Thanks Jon,
    I followed what you said but after I brought up the photo in PAINT and after I hit File and Save As, I found the same happened the photo was sent as a TIFF and when I opened it in 'My Docs' I found itwas accompanied by CS3.
    Cheers

Bob
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Cheers,
    -Jon
    While we are on the subject -- You are right, a screen grab IS worth 1,000 words -- so once and for all can anyone provide instruction on how to do that on a Mac? Even my 14 YO daughter -- my Mac IT resource -- doesn't know from screen grabs!
    edited January 28, 2008
    Fire your daughter.. (j/k) :)
    KED wrote:
    While we are on the subject -- You are right, a screen grab IS worth 1,000 words -- so once and for all can anyone provide instruction on how to do that on a Mac? Even my 14 YO daughter -- my Mac IT resource -- doesn't know from screen grabs!
    If you'd rather take a picture of only a specific part of the screen:
    1. Press Cmd-Shift-4 . Your mouse pointer will change into a cross-hair. If you want to cancel at any point in this process, press Esc.
    2. Move your mouse to the upper left corner of the area you want to capture. Hold down the mouse button and drag the mouse to the lower right corner of the area you want to capture.
    3. Release the mouse button. This will save the area as an image.
    In 10.2 and later, you may take pictures of individual windows, menus, and icons:
    1. If you want to take a picture of a menu, select it. If you want to take a picture of a window, click it to the foreground.
    2. Press Cmd-Shift-4 , then press the Spacebar. Your mouse pointer will change into a camera. If you want to cancel at any point in this process, press Esc.
    3. Move your mouse over the window, menu, or icon you want to take a picture of, then press the mouse button.

OR
    1. Click on the Finder icon in the Dock.
    2. From the Go menu, choose Applications.
    3. Open the Utilities folder and double-click on the Grab icon.
    4. In Grab, from the Capture menu, choose one of the options to take a screen shot.

Enjoy
    :D
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    If you'd rather take a picture of only a specific part of the screen:
    1. Press Cmd-Shift-4 . Your mouse pointer will change into a cross-hair. If you want to cancel at any point in this process, press Esc.
    2. Move your mouse to the upper left corner of the area you want to capture. Hold down the mouse button and drag the mouse to the lower right corner of the area you want to capture.
    3. Release the mouse button. This will save the area as an image.
    In 10.2 and later, you may take pictures of individual windows, menus, and icons:
    1. If you want to take a picture of a menu, select it. If you want to take a picture of a window, click it to the foreground.
    2. Press Cmd-Shift-4 , then press the Spacebar. Your mouse pointer will change into a camera. If you want to cancel at any point in this process, press Esc.
    3. Move your mouse over the window, menu, or icon you want to take a picture of, then press the mouse button.

OR
    1. Click on the Finder icon in the Dock.
    2. From the Go menu, choose Applications.
    3. Open the Utilities folder and double-click on the Grab icon.
    4. In Grab, from the Capture menu, choose one of the options to take a screen shot.

Enjoy
    :D
    That is so cool!
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks for your trouble. However, I have found a solution by playing about most of the day. After I hit 'Save As' The next monologue appears and I change the TIFF to JPEG and hit OK and it only sends the photo leaving CS3 behind. I can then open the photo up in 'My Docs' I apologise for not making myself perfectly clear to you.
    Kind regards

Bob

Bob, if I understand you correctly I believe this is what you are experiencing; image files need a software program to open and view, and your computer associates certain programs with certain file types and will use one program by default to open that file type all of the time...in your case your computer is apparently associating a tiff file with PSCS3 and using it by default to open any file you save as a tiff. You've already seen that your jpegs are by default opened in another program (MS Picture Manager or Windows Picture Viewer maybe?).

If I have explained that clearly enough (as mud?), you can change the default programs associated with a file type (but I forget how to do it and maybe someone else can chime in). In the meantime, if you right-click on the picture file you wish to view you will see a menu item that says "Open With" and a list of all the programs that will allow you to view that type of file. That will allow you to select a program other than CS3 to open your tiff files.

Hope I explained that simply enough and didn't get you more confused.
    edited January 28, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    you can change the default programs associated with a file type (but I forget how to do it and maybe someone else can chime in).
    Right click>Open with>Choose Default Program..
    Pick the program & make sure to check the little box on the bottom left that says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" then select, "OK".

fin.
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    11doh.gifI knew it was something really easy. rolleyes1.gifThanks!
    edited January 29, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    11doh.gifI knew it was something really easy. rolleyes1.gifThanks!

Thanks a lot Lori and you too Jon you have solved one big problem for me for which I really appreciate.
    Cheers to ya both

Bob