Where did this Halo come from?

ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited January 28, 2008 in People
Can anyone explain why there is a dark halo around this person's teeth?

For background...

Canon 135L at f2
1/200 800 ISO
There was a stylist wearing all black in "my" background (as in behind the model from my perspective), and there was a giant window at about 2 or 3 pm during a VERY cloudy day (no percipitation) to the model's back (which was to my right)

I've heard of halo's in the Diffractive optics lenses (but are more of a problem in high isos and/or blurred backgrounds, although I haven't seen one in my DO lens yet), but not the normal lenses.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici

Comments

• SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Looks like some photoshop work was done to it.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I like the eye. Can't explain the halo.
    Growing with Dgrin

• ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Looks like some photoshop work was done to it.
    The ONLY photoshop that went in to that was resizing it for the post, so I didn't have to upload it to my site. It wasn't photoshopped at all.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    ccpickre wrote:
    The ONLY photoshop that went in to that was resizing it for the post, so I didn't have to upload it to my site. It wasn't photoshopped at all.

I think there is something reflecting and I think there is some motion blur in the image which is making it look like a halo. The image is a bit soft but there is some black in the skin tone as well.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited January 28, 2008
    Well it's soft yeah, cause it was f2 at pretty much the edge of the focusing range of the 135. I don't know about motion blur, it was 1/200 of a girl getting her hair done, so she couldn't move too much.

I'm seeing it in a lot of the photos from the event, especially in areas out of the focal range. A black haloish line along subjects.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    The area under her nose, with the black line, looks almost like something one would get from over-sharpening (yes, I know you didn't do any photoshop editing).

Question: Did you shoot RAW or JPG? If JPG, have you looked at your camera settings. In particular, there are options in most cameras to direct the camera to do some PP on the photo during the conversion to JPG (sharpening, contrast, saturation, etc). Is there ANY chance that you have one of these set to an extreme value?
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Is there ANY chance that you have one of these set to an extreme value?
    That's my guess also.
    edited January 28, 2008
    The sharpening on my camera profile that I used was set at 4, on a scale of 7. Contrast is set to 2, saturation 3, and color tone is in the middle.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    ccpickre wrote:
    The sharpening on my camera profile that I used was set at 4, on a scale of 7. Contrast is set to 2, saturation 3, and color tone is in the middle.
    As I shoot, almost exclusively, in RAW I have not foundation upon which to judge these numbers. I offered that idea up as something you may want to investigate.
    edited January 28, 2008
    As I shoot, almost exclusively, in RAW I have not foundation upon which to judge these numbers. I offered that idea up as something you may want to investigate.
    Well, the lens I used is fairly new, and I haven't used it in bright situations like that (there was a HUGE window all the way around).

I tend to shoot raw as well. But the sharpening was basically set in the middle, pretty much the same setting I've used for all my other lenses.