sunny side up

nosmonosmo Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited February 3, 2008 in Landscapes
I do more reading here than contributing and this is not so much of a landscape, maybe more town and country. Aunt Mary's side yard on a sunny day.

248163908-L.jpg

Comments

• philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    nosmo wrote:
    I do more reading here than contributing and this is not so much of a landscape, maybe more town and country. Aunt Mary's side yard on a sunny day.
    I like the idea. The window doesn't add anything for me I would like it better if it was cropped out. The other thing I would like to see more of the chair. I think (since you can't go reshoot) I would crop out the window.
    I was looking through your gallery. I like your rodeo shots. When we have the local rodeo I try and shoot it. It's always fun to get those great bull or bronc riding shots
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I want to see the window, Maybe an extream wide angle. Distort all those straight lines.

Keep shooting!
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
  • nosmonosmo Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I like the idea. The window doesn't add anything for me I would like it better if it was cropped out. The other thing I would like to see more of the chair. I think (since you can't go reshoot) I would crop out the window.
    I was looking through your gallery. I like your rodeo shots. When we have the local rodeo I try and shoot it. It's always fun to get those great bull or bronc riding shots
    -Philip
    I cropped the window and chair so there would be a little bit of each - bottom of window & top of chair... I'll go stare at it some more and play with the cropping. Maybe less chair and more window...? I'm off to the Houston rodeo again although I don't have seats that close this time. Thanks for looking and the comments.
    JGD wrote:
    I want to see the window, Maybe an extream wide angle. Distort all those straight lines.

Keep shooting!
    Hhmmmm... a few martini's and let's see .................
    edited January 29, 2008
    nosmo wrote:
    I cropped the window and chair so there would be a little bit of each - bottom of window & top of chair... I'll go stare at it some more and play with the cropping. Maybe less chair and more window...? I'm off to the Houston rodeo again although I don't have seats that close this time. Thanks for looking and the comments.

Hhmmmm... a few martini's and let's see .................

Oh I figured the version you had up was an uncropped version. My suggestion about removing the window was based on the fact that there was only that small portion of it. Post the uncropped version of the shot so we can all see that.
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka
    edited January 30, 2008
    philiphutson's request -
    Oh I figured the version you had up was an uncropped version. My suggestion about removing the window was based on the fact that there was only that small portion of it. Post the uncropped version of the shot so we can all see that.
    -Philip

OK Philip, here is the uncropped version.

249255841-L.jpg

so - what do you think?
    edited January 31, 2008
    nosmo wrote:
    OK Philip, here is the uncropped version.

so - what do you think?

I think different things but about this image specifically, a few things first I think I like it more with a boost in contrast (I think I'm getting into a rut). I played with it a bit and set the blackpoint to a shadow in a window and the white point to the back of the chair. Then I brought the quarter tones down just a bit. It gives it a less than realistic look that works (it also enhances the pattern in the wall). For the image it's self I like the fence behind the chair it accentuates the chair facing the opposite direction that gives a boundary that lets your eye/imagination move to the other side. The leaf up in the top right section is distraction but not a major problem. Back to cropping. I like the pattern of the wall against the chair and with the chair much larger in the frame it enhances it as the subject. I was just playing with cropping so that the top of the frame is just under the window left of the shadow of the pipe and bottom just under the bottom of the legs of the chair. With this cropping it created a sort of a horizon of the grass with the chair cutting the horizon (like Marc was talking about on the main resident artist thread). So overall I like full frame image as well as some cropping.
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka
    edited January 31, 2008
    I think different things but about this image specifically, a few things first I think I like it more with a boost in contrast (I think I'm getting into a rut). I played with it a bit and set the blackpoint to a shadow in a window and the white point to the back of the chair. Then I brought the quarter tones down just a bit. It gives it a less than realistic look that works (it also enhances the pattern in the wall). For the image it's self I like the fence behind the chair it accentuates the chair facing the opposite direction that gives a boundary that lets your eye/imagination move to the other side. The leaf up in the top right section is distraction but not a major problem. Back to cropping. I like the pattern of the wall against the chair and with the chair much larger in the frame it enhances it as the subject. I was just playing with cropping so that the top of the frame is just under the window left of the shadow of the pipe and bottom just under the bottom of the legs of the chair. With this cropping it created a sort of a horizon of the grass with the chair cutting the horizon (like Marc was talking about on the main resident artist thread). So overall I like full frame image as well as some cropping.
    -Philip
    plenty to think about, reading up on Marc's posts, ... I'll post up the other takes on the pic. thanks Philip
    edited February 1, 2008
    nosmo wrote:
    plenty to think about, reading up on Marc's posts, ... I'll post up the other takes on the pic. thanks Philip

Keep in mind what someone else said, if the the person giving the advice doesn't shoot in the manner you aspire to their advice should be taken with a large salt lick. I don't shoot in the manner that this image is leaning towards so my advice is probably of very little value. Marc on the other hand has an incredibly diverse range. Just when I think I've seen the extent of his abilities he shows me more of his work. Over the last few years Marc has done a lot of contract lifestyle work in the Bahamas. I finally got a chance to see a portfolio of the work he did for that, it was simply 'INCREDIBLE' and a style I had never seen him do before. Oh so the point of this was that Marc's ability is so wide and deep he can give excellent advice on any style.
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka
    edited February 1, 2008
    Keep in mind what someone else said, if the the person giving the advice doesn't shoot in the manner you aspire to their advice should be taken with a large salt lick. .....-<snip>-....<snip> so the point of this was that Marc's ability is so wide and deep he can give excellent advice on any style.
    -Philip
    and for me it is that I need to look, re-look, look away and look back to see it again. I think there are a couple of potentially interesting (to me anyway) shots in there, I'm attempting to learn to see them.</snip></snip>
    edited February 3, 2008
    only impressions
    remember spending summers afternoons at aunt marys...
    soft warmth filling my eyes... was it ever really ...

250228286-L.jpg

as soft as I remember
    .. am I softening hard edges of life, to not acknowledge the lengthing shadows

250228304-L.jpg
    edited February 3, 2008
    remembering the flood in '64 when we lived with the kids on the second floor

250228312-XL.jpg

do you not to remember the years of no money and too much drinking ....

250228329-XL.jpg
    edited February 3, 2008
    I remember the rich full times, not the broken bones or scabby knees .... is that faucet getting closer as well?

250228342-XL.jpg

love's soft memory warming while I shut my eyes and remember ....

250228352-XL.jpg
    edited February 3, 2008
    stepping back in, do I see what is there -

250228395-XL.jpg

maybe I'll just go take the dog out for a walk down the lane ............

250228454-L.jpg

for me, - connections to the location, influence how I see and remember it.
    it may not be accurate, the best or creative - it's just what I got at the moment.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Steve,

This is a really cool idea you have going with your Impressions. Your storytelling and use of PP really tell the story much more than either could alone. Awesome! thumb.gif
    edited February 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Steve,

This is a really cool idea you have going with your Impressions. Your storytelling and use of PP really tell the story much more than either could alone. Awesome! thumb.gif
    thanks doll. I looked through your stuff. you rock.