Concentration...

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited February 8, 2008 in Sports
Just thought I'd post a pic from the last game I shot.

Available light --- See, I'm not married to using flash :rofl

ISO 3200 - 1/400 - f/2.8 --- Some USM - No noise removal used

Canon 30D w/Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS @ 200mm

248184903-L.jpg

Half-time "smaller" athletes shot.

248212769-L.jpg
Randy

Comments

• KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    Just thought I'd post a pic from the last game I shot.

Available light --- See, I'm not married to using flash rolleyes1.gif

ISO 3200 - 1/400 - f/2.8 --- Some USM - No noise removal used

Canon 30D w/Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS @ 200mm

248184903-L.jpg
    I can't figure out how it's possible that you shot at ISO 3200 with no noise removal required. Those hoop shots that I posted a few weeks ago, upon which you commented, were shot at 1000 or 1200 and definitely required noise removal. Maybe it's just that I was making that determination viewing in original size?
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Great shot. That would make a great portrait. She has beautiful eyes.

I imagine the exposure was dead on to get low noise at 3200?
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    Great shot. That would make a great portrait. She has beautiful eyes.

I imagine the exposure was dead on to get low noise at 3200?

Exactly!!!

That's the point I was making the other day on KED's post.
    Randy
    edited January 28, 2008
    KED wrote:
    I can't figure out how it's possible that you shot at ISO 3200 with no noise removal required. Those hoop shots that I posted a few weeks ago, upon which you commented, were shot at 1000 or 1200 and definitely required noise removal. Maybe it's just that I was making that determination viewing in original size?

KED,

That's what I was telling you in your post. That's the main reason I posted these, so it could be seen that a properly exposed high ISO shot can be quite usable.

I'm sure there are some that will argue, but the pics speak for themselves.

Also, while I'm at it...

The WB was set with an ExpoDisk. If you'll notice, the subjects forehead and face are good on coloration, but as we go down her arms, especially to the bottom of her arms, you see a yellow cast on her skin. This is reflected up off of the floor that is painted bright yellow here.

I had two basic choices to make as to how to set my WB.

(1) shoot the WB/ExpoDisk shot up AT the light source. This will give proper average WB for the gym, but will not take into account any colors that are reflected from the floor.

(2) shoot the WB/ExpoDisk shot from the key area, pointed TOWARD where the camera position will be. This method would have taken into account for the color(s) reflected from the floor, but ONLY IN THIS SPOT.

Since I was shooting under the basket & cross-court, I opted for method #1 so that I would have a pretty good balance for any position on the court. I knew that I was going to suffer some color cast in certain places on the court.

This is another area that flash will help with. Pretty much will eliminate the WB color cast issues.

That may be more info that what you asked, but why not get as much info as possible ne_nau.gif

Hope that helps...
    Randy
    edited January 28, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    Exactly!!!

That's the point I was making the other day on KED's post.
    Cool -- I've got hoop again on Wednesday, same venue as the last time. Pushing ISO till I'm spot-on exposure wise and can't wait to see what happens. It is still completely counter-intuitive to me that increased ISO can lead to lower noise, but you are my man and I'm going with it! (RW -- I just got e-mail that you have responded directly to me, this is my reply anyway)
    edited January 28, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Cool -- I've got hoop again on Wednesday, same venue as the last time. Pushing ISO till I'm spot-on exposure wise and can't wait to see what happens. It is still completely counter-intuitive to me that increased ISO can lead to lower noise, but you are my man and I'm going with it! (RW -- I just got e-mail that you have responded directly to me, this is my reply anyway)

I added some more info on my post above.

Don't know anything about an email, but OK
    Randy
    edited January 28, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    I added some more info on my post above.

Don't know anything about an email, but OK
    (I get e-mail notification of replies to my "subscribed threads)

I love, and use, all the info that I can get, and I get a tremendous amount of it from you, which you know is much appreciated. ExpoDisk is a pretty neat tool, but the way the lights cycle in this particular gym (my son's home venue), probably not workable. Since hoops is just for fun, I'm content to shoot in raw and fix WB image-by-image.

Your recent posts on using flash in a gym are really generous and instructive. I'm finding that in the new era I'm a little baffled by flash (such as, for example, apparently you could lose your photographer's license for actually using the flash in the hot shoe). That's OK -- for indoor, I want to master the disciplines of manual exposure, and more importantly, it's only six days to the start of college lacrosse!!!!clap.gif
    edited January 28, 2008
    KED: I'm finding that in the new era I'm a little baffled by flash (such as, for example, apparently you could lose your photographer's license for actually using the flash in the hot shoe).

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    i would find it funny too (i think)...only i dont get it...it went right over my head...

guess im just too green......
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 6, 2008
    i would find it funny too (i think)...only i don't get it...it went right over my head...

guess im just too green......

Hey Aaron,

What makes KED's statement funny, is his reference to "loosing your photographer's license" if you use a flash "on-camera", the way it was originally designed to be used.

1. We don't have no stinkin' photography license rolleyes1.gif

2. Now days, most photogs get so caught-up in the "off camera" flash thing, they forget that you can still use it on-camera with good results. (sometimes) His reference makes it sound like you would be ostrasised if you were ever caught using your flash this way.

OK, now you can laugh rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    i get it now....

i was thinking credentials or something....and the no use of flash at events....

derrrrrrr.........:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Is your in camera NR on? are you sure?
    I posted shots at6400 ISO here a few days ago I new my in camera high ISO NR was on and didn't think anything of it. I decided to try the same shots without the NR on and as it turns out it can not actually be turned off it can only go from high to med or low.
    This does not change the fact that correct exposure combined with sharp focus and good WB will produce a low noise image. It has to be all three of those things.
    The WB was set with an ExpoDisk. If you'll notice, the subjects forehead and face are good on coloration, but as we go down her arms, especially to the bottom of her arms, you see a yellow cast on her skin. This is reflected up off of the floor that is painted bright yellow here.

I had two basic choices to make as to how to set my WB.

(1) shoot the WB/ExpoDisk shot up AT the light source. This will give proper average WB for the gym, but will not take into account any colors that are reflected from the floor.

(2) shoot the WB/ExpoDisk shot from the key area, pointed TOWARD where the camera position will be. This method would have taken into account for the color(s) reflected from the floor, but ONLY IN THIS SPOT.

I had a similiar situation last week at a gym with a red floor and cycling lights woohoo talk about a ratio killer AWB is worthless and my best efforts had me alternating between two CWB's and a presetWB in the end I elected to slow down the SS to try to blow out the cast, it worked pretty well.
    edited February 6, 2008
    rwells wrote:

1. We don't have no stinkin' photography license rolleyes1.gif
    Maybe we should . . . but then again I might flunk the test!
    edited February 6, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    Is your in camera NR on? are you sure?
    quote]

Hey Keith,

The Canon 30D only has a "noise reduction" option for long (over 1 second or longer) exposures. Basically it records the shot at the settings you choose, then records another one over that one in dark/black areas. (This is not exactly correct, but it's close enough for this discussion)

Unlike the 40D & 1DMkIII, there is no NR for regular exposures.

So, YES -- I'm sure thumb.gif
    Randy
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    cool, better to have none, than to not have the option, well maybe not, anyway, obviously that leaves us with a perfect exampl of what good exposure focus and white balance can do for a picture.