Options

Panning: Success or Failure

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited March 30, 2005 in Holy Macro
Pitch black and I see this boat. Even with the ISO at 3200 and the lens WFO the exposure was 1.3 seconds. Clearly only a clock drive and a tripod is going to be steady and then the boat won't be. So Why did I take and impossible shot... Don't know but somehow I like the result.

ISO 3200 , f/3.2 , 1.3sec , 70mm
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• Options
    edited March 29, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    Pitch black and I see this boat. Even with the ISO at 3200 and the lens WFO the exposure was 1.3 seconds. Clearly only a clock drive and a tripod is going to be steady and then the boat won't be. So Why did I take and impossible shot... Don't know but somehow I like the result.

ISO 3200 , f/3.2 , 1.3sec , 70mm
    This get lost in the shuffle? Any suggestions? Anyone agree with me that this kind of impossible pan can still be worthwhile? Or am I out to lunch with this.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 29, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    This get lost in the shuffle? Any suggestions? Anyone agree with me that this kind of impossible pan can still be worthwhile? Or am I out to lunch with this.
    Why not leave the camera fixed and capture the movement of the boat on film that way, rather than panning? The boat wasn't moving that fast was it?

The jiggly appearance of the pan just doesn't work for me, Charles. Sorry. ne_nau.gif The reflection in the waterr I do like, and I wonder if that might have been better without the panning also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    Charles, I have lots of shots like this where I was reaching beyond what I knew how to do or could do and I ended up with something I liked. And when you reach like that sometimes a lot of people don't get it. I entered a challenge shot last summer of the "Fog Man" that I loved. I mean really loved. But it didn't make the finals and I don't think a lot of others saw what I saw in it, but some did. I also shot some nightime shots from my roof of the ferry. Remember? Same thing.

I like this shot Charles. Not everyone will. Keep it.

Can't find the exact quotation now, but William Faulkner said that "The Sound and the Fury" was his problem child, and thus the one he always loved best.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Charles, I have lots of shots like this where I was reaching beyond what I knew how to do or could do and I ended up with something I liked. And when you reach like that sometimes a lot of people don't get it. I entered a challenge shot last summer of the "Fog Man" that I loved. I mean really loved. But it didn't make the finals and I don't think a lot of others saw what I saw in it, but some did. I also shot some nightime shots from my roof of the ferry. Remember? Same thing.

I like this shot Charles. Not everyone will. Keep it.

Can't find the exact quotation now, but William Faulkner said that "The Sound and the Fury" was his problem child, and thus the one he always loved best.
    Thanks for the encouragement and for liking the shot.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 30, 2005
    It's noisy and difficult to tell what the object is.
    I'm with PF on this one. Leave the camera on a
    tripod and let the boat do the work.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    I like the shot Charles. I think you would have had a streak of blur if you had the camera still on a tripod. This way, I see people on the boat, the bouncy lines speak of waves. The colors hint of fun. Kind of cool.:):
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    I like the shot as well, I also have several like that, like you I find a bit of art in it, kinda impresionistic. I attempted this very thing with an ambulance last night, but my shutter speed was too fast, not enough blur for this effect, but too much to call it clear. To answer the question of why not leave the camera stationary and shoot the boat passing, well you would not get this kind of feel for the scene in the boat. For me this shot is a success, like light tails, it has it's own feel, a light tail shot is showing you the scene without detail of those passing through it, this shot is showing you the passersby, while blurring the scene.

James.