MX Shooter New to the Grin...

AmateurMXAmateurMX Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited March 9, 2008 in Sports
Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking for a little while and noticed a lot of really good moto-shooters hang out here, so I decided to toss my hat in the ring.

I love photography and have been shooting motocross my whole life, it seems.

Anyway, here are a few photos I shot a couple weeks ago. Let me know what you think.

A2SX08CH_0120.jpg
A2SX08CH_0160.jpg
A2SX08CH_0304.jpg
A2SX08CH_0327.jpg

Comments

• j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    They better be good coming from a pro magazine publisher. :D
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Awesome photos. I wish I could get press access, I shoot for the local paper but I don't think I have a chance. Do you think I'll get hassled for bringing in my 70-200VR into the Metrodome?
  • AmateurMXAmateurMX Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Matt336 wrote:
    Awesome photos. I wish I could get press access, I shoot for the local paper but I don't think I have a chance. Do you think I'll get hassled for bringing in my 70-200VR into the Metrodome?

If you work for a paper and have an official reason for getting a credential, you shouldn't have a problem getting a pass. The supercross promoters would rather have mainstream press than endemic press.

Without a credential you might have a problem bringing in your 70-200. Just try to hide it as best you can while going through the gate. Live Nation (the SX series promoter) says it's individual stadium policy that determines whether or not you can bring in a long lens, but it's really a Live Nation policy. They don't want you brining in a long lens.

Just sneak that bad dog in! Laughing.gif
  • mikeshotsmikeshots Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Wow! Love that first Alessi shot. Alright, spill the beans, which magazine is it?:D

I can't wait until Hangtown rolls around so I can try out my 70-200 2.8 IS!!!wings.gif
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    AmateurMX wrote:
    If you work for a paper and have an official reason for getting a credential, you shouldn't have a problem getting a pass. The supercross promoters would rather have mainstream press than endemic press.

Without a credential you might have a problem bringing in your 70-200. Just try to hide it as best you can while going through the gate. Live Nation (the SX series promoter) says it's individual stadium policy that determines whether or not you can bring in a long lens, but it's really a Live Nation policy. They don't want you brining in a long lens.

Just sneak that bad dog in! Laughing.gif

It's a newspaper thats home to a town of about 15,000 people. I'm going to try an sneak it in. Wish me luck!rolleyes1.gif
  • bspeedbspeed Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 28, 2008
    Sweet exposure :)

Funny, logged in here for the 1st time, to look for some "help" subjects, and
    see you here...lurk the same places you are at :)

trying to fisure out how to have multiple galleries under one top gallery..for...all my assorted MX shots ! rolleyes1.gif
  • kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Very nice, tac sharp images.
    What equipment are you using and do you have a gallery somewhere online for us to see?

Thanks for posting.
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    What's this??????? A paid spectator cannot take pictures at a SX race or outdoor race????
    edited January 28, 2008
    mikeshots wrote:
    Wow! Love that first Alessi shot. Alright, spill the beans, which magazine is it?:D

I can't wait until Hangtown rolls around so I can try out my 70-200 2.8 IS!!!wings.gif

The magazine I publish is called Amateur MX. Our website is www.amateurmx.com. There you can check out the digital version of our print magazine. Or you can find the print magazine in Barnes & Noble, Hastings Books or Books A Million.
    Matt336 wrote:
    It's a newspaper thats home to a town of about 15,000 people. I'm going to try an sneak it in. Wish me luck!

Good Luck Matt!
    kelsow wrote:
    Very nice, tac sharp images.
    What equipment are you using and do you have a gallery somewhere online for us to see?

Thanks for posting.

I shoot with a Nikon D70 and a D200 and my main lens is the 80-200 2.8. The full gallery of my Anaheim Supercross photos is here:
    http://homepage.mac.com/amateurmx1/PhotoAlbum1.html
    2whlrcr wrote:
    What's this??????? A paid spectator cannot take pictures at a SX race or outdoor race????

No. If you read the back of your Supercross ticket, it states that you are not allowed to video or photograph the event. Basically, the Supercross promoters don't want you making any money off their event. They have even tried to limit the ability of working photographers from making money off Supercross too. But I'm sure that policy is the same for most stadium and arena sports.

However, for the Outdoor Nationals it's a different story. You are allowed to bring your camera and shoot to your hearts content.

CH
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Wow those are some amazing shots! That one of Reed is just poetry in motion.

I'm insanely jealous. I haven't been able to go to a SX since 2000. Well, I had tickets in 01 but spent the weekend of the race (and following two months) in ICU from, you guessed it, an MX crash. Lol. I'm still really bummed they took New Orleans off the tour. They could actually build a track long enough to make a full 20 minute+ main event.

Keep those pics coming! thumb.gif
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    AmateurMX wrote:

No. If you read the back of your Supercross ticket, it states that you are not allowed to video or photograph the event. Basically, the Supercross promoters don't want you making any money off their event. They have even tried to limit the ability of working photographers from making money off Supercross too. But I'm sure that policy is the same for most stadium and arena sports.

However, for the Outdoor Nationals it's a different story. You are allowed to bring your camera and shoot to your hearts content.

CH

Well I guess I won't be going to any SX races then. Half the fun for me is taking photos. I'd rather go to the outdoor races anyway.
    edited January 29, 2008
    2whlrcr wrote:
    Well I guess I won't be going to any SX races then. Half the fun for me is taking photos. I'd rather go to the outdoor races anyway.

I didn't have any troubles taking photo's with my 70-200 2.8L at the Houston SX. They did try and tell me before I went in the park that "sir, you can't have a backpack in here". I said okay, dropped it off my back in my hand and said it's now a manpurse. They laughed and let me through.

Taking photo's in the domes are tough as the light stinks, they closed off the lower seating section so you couldn't get very close, and they have those banners high up so it's a little difficult to get anything too good. Once practice is over with, I put up my camera as it's near impossible to get anything quality wise, unless you are very close.

As Chris stated, outdoors, shoot all you want! What stunk this year, at Freestone, is they again but up those dang banners around the perimeter of the track and they were so high you'd be best to bring a small step ladder to shoot!!

I'll keep going and taking what shots I can though. I bleed it! :ivar

Here's from the cheap seats:
    129317231-L.jpg
    edited January 30, 2008
    bspeed wrote:
    Sweet exposure :)

Funny, logged in here for the 1st time, to look for some "help" subjects, and
    see you here...lurk the same places you are at :)

trying to fisure out how to have multiple galleries under one top gallery..for...all my assorted MX shots ! rolleyes1.gif

I just realized you're a fellow mototalker!

Small world, isn't it?:D

CH
    edited January 30, 2008
    AmateurMX wrote:
    I just realized you're a fellow mototalker!

Small world, isn't it?:D

CH

Ya'll pay, crazy. Ha.. j/k.... I'm MD and the new racetime. Love your work Chris. thumb.gif Yes.. I'm jealous, I admit it. :ivar
    edited January 30, 2008
    j-bo wrote:
    Ya'll pay, crazy. Ha.. j/k.... I'm MD and the new racetime. Love your work Chris. thumb.gif Yes.. I'm jealous, I admit it. :ivar

Heck no, I didn't pay...I got a free pass...hahahahaha.

I also post at MD occasionally, and I lurk at racetime.

CH
  • jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    AmateurMX, Good to see you in here. Great shots from A2. Retro night looked great from TV!!!! Nice shots, and hope to see more from this SX season.

Jason

Mototalker: rearickjb

246840602-L-1.jpg

180357713-L.jpg

180358271-L.jpg
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    excellent photos!!! well done:ivar
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • downhillnewsdownhillnews Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    A2SX08CH_0327.jpg
    That shot is NICE!
    Here are some I got at Anaheim... 1st post 4 me also. All your look real nice BTW!!!
    KX152m.jpg
    AIRFOUNTAIN1sm.jpg
    RC2120083.jpg
    YZ1120083.jpg
    whiteHONDA1120083.jpg
  • amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    I doubt it will happen but I'll say it anyway.

There has to be half a dozen great MX threads in the forst 20 pages of Sports.

this one included. eek7.gif

A2SX08CH_0327.jpg

Personally I'd like to see the categories in Sports better defined.

Baseball.
    Basketball
    Football
    Scoccer
    Hockey
    Motorcycles
    Auto

etc etc etc.

just my opinion. I think it would make for a better forum.

what say the rest of you varmints?
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    AmateurMX wrote:
    No. If you read the back of your Supercross ticket, it states that you are not allowed to video or photograph the event. Basically, the Supercross promoters don't want you making any money off their event. They have even tried to limit the ability of working photographers from making money off Supercross too. But I'm sure that policy is the same for most stadium and arena sports.CH

Welcome, Chris. I've enjoyed your excellent work. Like most major sports and arenas, the rules are very incosistent. This is the first I've heard of still photography not being allowed at SX. (Of course, I'm not in the business)

Maybe its left up to each arena to decide? I've attended the Indy practice sessions for the last few years, and there has never been an issue. Their tickets say 'no video' on the front. They have a public address message that is played outside every few minutes. It says 'no video recorders, but still photography is permitted.'

Yesterday, like usual, I saw other shooters (without credentials)with 80-200s walking through the gates, around the arena, and in the stands. I've never seen anyone get bothered.

I guess if anyone wants to go to a SX event, call ahead, and see what their policy is.

Anyway, here's a shot of your friend, Trey, from yesterday;

260963891_d9hnk-O.jpg

Got his autograph, too. :D I also got something else I wanted. I got Windham's autograph on these two shots from Red Bud;

DSC_1987copyW.jpg

DSC_7345p.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    AmateurMX wrote:
    Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking for a little while and noticed a lot of really good moto-shooters hang out here, so I decided to toss my hat in the ring.

I love photography and have been shooting motocross my whole life, it seems.

Anyway, here are a few photos I shot a couple weeks ago. Let me know what you think.

A2SX08CH_0120.jpg

I love your first shot, great job editing AND shooting here, Amateur.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • lukaitis photolukaitis photo Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Many here don't realize in addition to Amateur MX, Chris has a long history as one of the top photographers in our sport. (MXA RacerX etc)

Check out Amateur MX if you get a chance.
  • Morbid AndrewMorbid Andrew Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    I was able to get my 100-400 and 70-200 into the Atlanta Dome. I was tempted to try the 400 2.8 but figured that would be pushing it.
  • zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    These shots Rock!bowdown.gif
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.