Options

first baseball pics!

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited March 21, 2005 in Sports
i only have 3 pictures for now because i'm in a hotel and the upload sucks. these are from thursday, march 17th of a scrimmage between great neck north and great neck south, please note the snow still on the ground which is why it was played on a make believe field.

considering it was my first time taking pictures of baseball i'm pretty happy with my results. i would've been playing if i wasn't sidelined for the season because of my tendonitis, but at least i get to take pictures. it was overcast that day so i think that's why they might seem to lack some bold-ness, but maybe i was doing something wrong. i was shooting with my digital rebel and 70-200 f/2.8L at iso 400 and 800 at around and 1/2000 i think with an aperture near 4. more will be posted on binghott.com when i get home probably tomorrow or sunday.

just a note: the first and third pics are of my two best friends in case you care or want to stalk me or something.

17755535-M.jpg

17755950-M.jpg

17756707-M.jpg
i love that shirt, it's right to the point: "baseball"

-barry

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 21, 2005
    These look good Bing thumb.gif

Overcast days can be tough, but I think you had enough light that you could have taken the ISO down to the 100-200 range and used speeds of 1/500, or so, @ F4. I find that the lower the ISO the better the color and dynamic range. Not to mention, the lower the noise :D

Thanks for sharing these,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    thanks for the info. i played around with the isos and shutter speed and what not, i wasn't happy with 1/500 at all, there seemed to be some motion blur, but maybe i was doing something wrong. on a sunny day i would obviously use a lower iso. thanks again.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 21, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    thanks for the info. i played around with the isos and shutter speed and what not, i wasn't happy with 1/500 at all, there seemed to be some motion blur, but maybe i was doing something wrong. on a sunny day i would obviously use a lower iso. thanks again.
    Bing,
    If you were fully zoomed, 1/500 might be a bit slow for handholding (am I correct in assuming that you were/are handholding the cam?). Long lens and slower shutter speeds are a recipe for shake. Even though 1/500 isn't "slow", at full zoom of around 320mm's FOV shake is entirely possible. Not to mention that all of the 70-200mm's are pretty heavy (some are really heavy) lenses to hold. I know I am definitely shakier with my long lenses than with the wide angles. Just a thought :):

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero