Shoot first...ask questions later! :thumb
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Nice to meet her!
    Beautiful model:):
    Spasibo
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    This is a photo you are likely to treasure for a long time, an eventually you'll be able to abash her with it. Since it is likely to be around so long, I think it's worth a little work in post. I see three things you can improve easily:
    1. It's too dark. Use the color sampler tool and measure the values on the face.
    2. It's too grey. The baby would look healthier with more saturated colors.
    3. Skin texture is unattractive, looks wet. This is the result of lighting. Maybe a flash?
    We can address 1&2 easily with LAB curves. Pull the light side of the L curve downward and steepen it through the midtones to bring out detail in the face and lighten the entire image. Steepen the A+B curves symetrically to increase saturation and get the grey out of the face.

Addressing 3 allows me to show off something that NeatImage can do. I just applied it after the LAB curve move and bingo. Better skin. Much cheaper than a pro lighting setup.

Lastly I converted to CMYK and sharpened on the C+K channels. This is often a great thing to do with portraits. It hits eyes, hair but has no effect on skin.

Here is the result:

17780510-O.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    This is a photo you are likely to treasure for a long time, an eventually you'll be able to abash her with it. Since it is likely to be around so long, I think it's worth a little work in post. I see three things you can improve easily:
    1. It's too dark. Use the color sampler tool and measure the values on the face.
    2. It's too grey. The baby would look healthier with more saturated colors.
    3. Skin texture is unattractive, looks wet. This is the result of lighting. Maybe a flash?
    We can address 1&2 easily with LAB curves. Pull the light side of the L curve downward and steepen it through the midtones to bring out detail in the face and lighten the entire image. Steepen the A+B curves symetrically to increase saturation and get the grey out of the face.

Addressing 3 allows me to show off something that NeatImage can do. I just applied it after the LAB curve move and bingo. Better skin. Much cheaper than a pro lighting setup.

Lastly I converted to CMYK and sharpened on the C+K channels. This is often a great thing to do with portraits. It hits eyes, hair but has no effect on skin.

Here is the result:
    Nice work!!

I used to shoot portraits of my older children with a 2+ soft focus filter to smooth out all of that baby skin. I need to be more aggressive with my post production work with my digital shots now. Part of the problem is that I get so enamored of all of the detail in these shots that when they are gone after softening I seem to miss them!

I like the way you maintained the sharpness of her eyes while softening the skin.

thanks!

mitch
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Better?
    Played around a little with it also. Any thoughts?
  • KimballPhotographyKimballPhotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    iloveyou.gif AWWWWWWWWWWWWWiloveyou.gif She so totally makes me miss the baby moments...My youngest is now 2 1/2:cry . What beauty you have there and look at that smile:D . I like what you did in the last post...brighter is better. She looks like a little glow wormiloveyou.gif .
    Natalie:thumb

A single photograph can tell an entire story and bring back a multitude of memories.
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    Beautiful baby. I think your last version is the best it is much more natural looking IMO. Thnxs for sharing.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 20, 2005