Options

Unable to Bring Up a Photo on CS3

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited January 29, 2008 in Finishing School
I am using Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended and I have obviously done something which I am not aware of. When I switch on CS3 the usual main page comes up. When I click on File and Open to bring up a photo. The photo comes up on the Camera Raw page with all the things on the right hand side to alter the photo. I used to be able to click on the 'Open Image' tab on the bottom right and that would take the photo back to the main page where I could do the layers etc etc. However, I am just getting a blank page and I am unable to do anything with layers or other various things one can do on this page where you can't do on the Camera Raw page. It is so frustrating this damned Photoshop. I thought I was getting along not too bad but I was obviously wrong.
Thanks again for all your help.

Bob

Comments

• Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Bob -

Sounds like you are trying to open a RAW image file instead of a photoshop, jpeg or tiff file. RAW images, I believe, need to go through the RAW converter first. But maybe there's more to this problem than I'm aware of.
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Mick is right on the money. If you attempt to open a RAW file in Photoshop CS3 (I assume Extended is the same) you will automatically pull it up in ACR (Adobe Camera RAW). This is not all bad as ACR V4.3 has many neat features for processing the RAW file. Once you have completed any tweaks you want to do in ACR then click "open image" button and the RAW file will be converted and loaded into Photoshop.

Hope this clears some things up.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rick Cook "The Wizardry Compiled"

:lol4
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    :lol4

Thanks everyone for your kind help. However, I I have uninstalled CS3 and reinstalled it again and it is now working fine. I should have considered this before troubling everyone.
    Kind regards

Bob