Options

First wedding as head photographer (13 images) 56k beware

PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
edited January 31, 2008 in Weddings
So this is my first wedding as the head photographer for a wedding. I did have trouble during the ceremony with an amateur photographer walking around, getting in shots, firing his flash when he was supposed to. I repeatedly spoke with him to no avail. Anyways, he only messed up some shots and still I think I made due well(but let me know what you think). There is some PS to be done before I print them. C&C is welcomed. Be brutal:thumb:D

1- Groomsmen248269405-L.jpg
2-Ceremony248279268-L.jpg

3-ring
248278228-L.jpg
4-wide church
248276638-L.jpg
5 -exit
248280399-L.jpg
6- exit2
248261895-L.jpg
7 - First Dance
248269117-L.jpg
8- First Dance2
248269170-M.jpg
9 - Money Dance
248270463-L.jpg
10- Cake cut
248272380-L.jpg

11- Photo Mosaic(Cake cutting)
248272752-L.jpg
12- dance
248268898-L.jpg

13- Dance the night away

248274709-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Howd you do that photo mosaic??? Also, next time your at a wedding, YOUR IN CONTROL. The couple paid you, not the other guy. So be very stern and tell him he needs to follow what you say or he will have to lead... your the main man. Basically besides the couple, the wedding revolves around your shooting.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    I made the photo mosaic from all of the photos taken that day. As far as the other guy goes...there was a language barrier. It did get to the point where the couple did talk to the guy and he layed off a little, but only to later persist. I guess I learned this the 'hard way.' In any case, if I didn't know the bride personally, It could have been the type of thing that you would just walk away from. Other than that--what do you think of the photos? good? bad? terrible?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Let me preface by saying I like all of these shots. Beautiful bride and happy groom!

#1. I like #1, but there is a blur on the church and the sun is making some of the dust flecks stand out by the car on the right. You can clone or crop some of them out.
    #2. is gorgeous! There is a magenta tint that could be fixed.
    #3. is underexposed, and there's plenty of details disappearing in the shadows that you could pull out with a little PS
    #4. thumb.gif
    #5. I like #5 :)
    #6. Another nice image :)

#8. I think he'll like that image thumb.gif
    #9 did they drop any bills on you? :)

#10 My mind knows they are cutting the cake, but the photo doesn't really show it. Do you have another picture of the cake or them cutting it?
    #11. WoW! I was going to ask if it was a camera glitch and then I thought I saw a dress. How long did that take?
    12 and 13. :) Nice

3, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13 all slightly underexposed IMO. Plenty of white points to pick from to fix them all.

There's other wedding photographers that may have more technical opinions here than I but I figured I'd throw in my .02 & see if it holds any weight.
    Sucks about the other photog getting in the way. I wonder if this is a universal symbol... :nono
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    martinezphotomartinezphoto Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I like this
    I like the perspective of the first shot, that is such a lucky man the bride is beautiful :D
    www.victormartinezphoto.com

Canon eos Mark II N
    Tamron 28-70 2.8
    Canon 70-200 2.8
    Canon speedlite 580 EX flash
  • Options
    AdaptiveAdaptive Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I can tell it's a pinoy wedding.

You should have called the guy a (mod edit) - let's be careful of the words we use. Angelo

:D

In my opinion all photos look dark. Maybe that's you're style. But wedding photography is supposed to be more light and heavenly, flowery and girly. Looks dark like a funeral.

I do have to say I like your lighting though. You had flashes set up everywhere or what? Jeez! :)thumb.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I can tell you've been browsing the popular sites for wedding photography. In the limited shots I see. Most of these shots are very popular now in wedding photography due to blogs etc... It's a shame you couldn't get that strobe a bit lower on the bubble shot. (BTW:The original photog also use three strobes for that setup and had assistants. I don't see how you could pull off half these shots the way you really want to w/o an assistant.)
    Don't take this as bad. I think the shots your taking have TONS of potential!
    Vycor wrote:
    next time your at a wedding, YOUR IN CONTROL. The couple paid you, not the other guy. So be very stern and tell him he needs to follow what you say or he will have to lead... your the main man. Basically besides the couple, the wedding revolves around your shooting.
    Be careful what stance you take. It's rare that you'll get a person that won't listen to the pro and if you do, (like your situation) talk to the best man and let him be the bad guy. If you let him know this person is possibly ruining shots, I guarantee he'll squash that. You never know what potential customers are attending the wedding. It's doubtful you'll get that phone call for a booking if your a crabby photographer. Not to mention you may miss that perfect shot if your busy being the almighty photographer.

JMO.

Regarding the photos. I think your shots need to be thought out a bit more. Out of the few shots I see, the composition still needs work. There are body's that are cut in half lots of negative space. Maybe focus on the rule of thirds for awhile while shooting until you develop your own taste/style? You also should consider spending more time in post. The overall brightness of the shots vary and WB varies from shot to shot as well. Get that camera off auto and go to full manual. It will make your job so much easier in post. I think you'd also gain allot from investing in some monitor calibrating hardware so you can see the colors I'm seeing.

Don't take this as a slam. It's genuine feedback intended to help you take your next wedding to the next level thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Be careful what stance you take. It's rare that you'll get a person that won't listen to the pro and if you do, (like your situation) talk to the best man and let him be the bad guy. If you let him know this person is possibly ruining shots, I guarantee he'll squash that. You never know what potential customers are attending the wedding.

I constantly fight the urge to yell at patrons. But you really have to hold your tongue and be polite.
    Not only could you potentially yell at a future customer but an important family member!!

"Old lady get out of the way!!"
    "That's the brides grandmother you ahole!!!"

eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    5 and 6 look like they were taken at almost the exact same time from 2 different parts of the church!!!

Look at the guests for reference. See lady in red shirt and guy with black short sleeved shirt with his arm down in shot number 5.

Look at photo number 6 and you will see these same 2 guests right beside the bride and groom still!!!!!!!!
    As a matter of a fact the lady with the red shirt is reaching out for the bride and groom. Guy with short sleeved shirt still has his arm down.

4 senerios..
    - Remote camera
    - Assistant / second shooter
    - You commanded the bride and groom to stop mid way at exit
    - You have super ninja flying skills

In Photo #6
    I was thinking that the guy standing at the altar with the yellow tie has something in his hands, thought it might be photographer but not enough gear.
    :)
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    Adaptive wrote:
    I constantly fight the urge to yell at patrons. But you really have to hold your tongue and be polite.
    Not only could you potentially yell at a future customer but an important family member!!

"Old lady get out of the way!!"
    "That's the brides grandmother you ahole!!!"

eek7.gif

The groomsmen definitely had my back on this one and the interupting photographer was finally out of the way when it came to the reception (not sure if you guys can tell that the distraction was gone). Photos done better in ps is defintely something I can improve on (I think ps will be a forever learning process). As far as the photos being dark--I guess you could call that my 'style' and I know that many of my photos are more contrasty or darker than most people would have them. I often err on the darker side rather than light. When it comes down to it--the couple took a look at my portfolio before the wedding and they chose to go with me, having seen my previous work. Thanks for all the comments folks---I'm always looking to learn from other photographers. ONe question--have any of you guys dealt with wedding planners? Do they make the day go any smoother for a photographer?

Let me add one more thing that was a little confusing and caught me off guard. Check out the groom and his best man...
    248264246-M.jpg
    yep---twins...now I definitely didn't see that one comming...ha

Edit:
    Adaptive wrote:
    5 and 6 look like they were taken at almost the exact same time from 2 different parts of the church!!!

Look at the guests for reference. See lady in red shirt and guy with black short sleeved shirt with his arm down in shot number 5.

Look at photo number 6 and you will see these same 2 guests right beside the bride and groom still!!!!!!!!
    As a matter of a fact the lady with the red shirt is reaching out for the bride and groom. Guy with short sleeved shirt still has his arm down.

4 senerios..
    - Remote camera
    - Assistant / second shooter
    - You commanded the bride and groom to stop mid way at exit
    - You have super ninja flying skills

In Photo #6
    I was thinking that the guy standing at the altar with the yellow tie has something in his hands, thought it might be photographer but not enough gear.
    :)

The guy to the top left wearing yellow in #6 is the offender. If you look close you can see the shadow of a flash. As far as #5 and #6...the entire entrances and exits were a little hecktic. Since I was using my crazy ninja skills to fly around. ok not really...
    Gorillapod
    Wireless Radio Remote Release for Canon
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    1 - Guys are under-exposed. Needed some fill flash.
    2 - This is almost good. Composition and lack of DOF is killing it as the groom is cut and OOF.
    3 - Under-exposed and I fear, when you bring up the exposure that you are going to introduce a serious amount of noise.
    4 - Nice. Would be even better if you had taken two at different exposures so you could do an over-lay, thus getting some detail in the pews. Something like an HDR, but without the 5 or 7 exposures, just two.
    5 - Exit is very nice! Is that your flash of that of the amateur photog?
    6 - Exit2 - Looks like you have some strange light fall off - she's well exposed, but he's a little darkheadscratch.gif
    7 - First Dance - good, but you could have done with some more light. Looks like it was lighted by over-head lighting, thus casting some vicious shadows on faces. The composition is pretty good. I think I would re-crop it to remove the corner of the table in the lower right corner.
    8 - Dance 2 - same thing again. Love the thumb.gif !!
    9 - Dark and red
    10 - Cake cut - need some fill flash! Also, need more of the cake and more of the hands/knife in the shot
    11 - Photo Mosaic - nice idea. Again, I think if there had been more light on his face in the original, this would have turned out qu ite a bit better. And, I want to second Vycor's quetion - how'd you do that?
    12 - Dance - light on face missing
    13 - Pretty dark.

In general, I think you are having some problems with white-balance. As pointed out above, you have plenty of neutrals in all the shots to get this corrected.
  • Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    11 - Photo Mosaic - nice idea. Again, I think if there had been more light on his face in the original, this would have turned out qu ite a bit better. And, I want to second Vycor's quetion - how'd you do that?

Try the free software found HERE Andrea Mosaic...there are samples on the site and a free download.
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    5 - Exit is very nice! Is that your flash of that of the amateur photog?
    I'm not sure what light that was actually...I was on the other side taking from the other angle. You'd have to ask Gorillapod and remote release what that was---ha.ne_nau.gif
    Shudderz wrote:
    Try the free software found HERE Andrea Mosaic...there are samples on the site and a free download.

Personally I used
    21CmwKyr4xL._AA115_.jpg
    ArcSoft Photo Montage

But I'm sure there are a bunch of programs that would work just fine. Just google photo mosaic or photo montage and stuff will come up. Thanks again for the critiques folks.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:

The guy to the top left wearing yellow in #6 is the offender. If you look close you can see the shadow of a flash. As far as #5 and #6...the entire entrances and exits were a little hecktic. Since I was using my crazy ninja skills to fly around. ok not really...
    Gorillapod
    Wireless Radio Remote Release for Canon

Haha that's sweet that you got a shot that nice remotely! It's level and framed really well!
    Yeah I figured you might have used a remote camera but not many people in these forums are that tech savy.
    Sorry I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    Adaptive wrote:
    Haha that's sweet that you got a shot that nice remotely! It's level and framed really well!
    Yeah I figured you might have used a remote camera but not many people in these forums are that tech savy.
    Sorry I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt. thumb.gif

haha--I duno if i'd call it being tech savy...maybe more like using all my gear to take any picture possible. If the picture turned out to be crap...then no harm done. I went to the church early to plan out the shots. I was as nervous as I've been on a job. Other events don't compare.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:
    haha--I duno if i'd call it being tech savy...maybe more like using all my gear to take any picture possible. If the picture turned out to be crap...then no harm done. I went to the church early to plan out the shots. I was as nervous as I've been on a job. Other events don't compare.

Well planning and being there early and going the extra mile will get you far. Most pros show up right on time and just do the minimum to get the job done. They don't try new things they just do what they have done for years because they know it works.

Keep doing what you are doing and always strive to do better and you will go far. Don't worry about being nervous, even the top pros are always nervous on wedding days, after all... There is alot going on at weddings and alot of responsibility!!

Congrats on the nice pics and good luck with your future!

thumb.gif