SF4 - Let's try some landscapes instead...

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited February 3, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
So the portraits didn't quite work out as hoped. Managed to finish work at 4:30 and raced the setting sun downtown. Made it to the Jefferson memorial just in time. Was pleased to find it as empty as I had ever seen it. Here are a few shots in order of preference. Hope one is a contender. Any thoughts? Are these worthy of entry into the SF round?
Thanks,
E

Jefferson's Steps
248537511-L.jpg

Wider shot:
248537357-L.jpg

In Awe
248537080-L.jpg

Comments

• kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Of the first two I like the first (tighter crop) the best. I also like the first shot better than the last. The last is a tad cliche whereas I really like the color and light in the first one. Very nice!

Ken
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I love number 1. Wish I could visit. Great capture with great visual expression.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I like the second one (but for some reason the steps attract me more than the monument itself)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • mycapturesmycaptures Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    My vote would be for the first shot..I love the comp and light in that one...really pretty!
    Shilowe, getting my masters in psychology,
    photographing mommy to Rayne (5) and Quinlan (baby boy) and wife to Dave.:photo
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I like the first one ... but it could be really great with something more ... a person, or a shadow of a person falling on the steps, or just the head and shoulders of someone running from behind the pillar, or ..... I think architecture can be more interesting with people in the scene but not something cliche.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Thanks for all the comments. Like the idea of people in it though I tried that once before with a couple who was sitting right in front of me - didn't look quite right. Very much unlike the one of Jefferson where the person gives it scale. With the people on the steps, it looked like more of a distraction.

I'll keep the camera with me for the next few days but at least I now have something to enter...

E
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Your first one, I thought, is very striking. Love the lines and the beautiful light.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Great shots of DC.

Like many others, I like #1 the best, but I agree with Seastack, it's missing a little something. The idea of a silhouette or a shadow seems just perfect. I agree with you in that having a person or a couple there would be distracting. The hint of a person though adds that extra dimension.

My 3 cents.
    Travis
    edited January 29, 2008
    Travis-
    The more I look at it, the more I agree that the image is a bit 'cold'. Not quite sure what the human touch would be though. As I said, couple seated on steps doesn't quite work. In a previous attempt, I had tourists walking by during a long exposure but that was a distraction more than anything else. Maybe some item lying on those steps....
    Any suggestions?
    E
    edited January 29, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Travis-
    The more I look at it, the more I agree that the image is a bit 'cold'. Not quite sure what the human touch would be though. As I said, couple seated on steps doesn't quite work. In a previous attempt, I had tourists walking by during a long exposure but that was a distraction more than anything else. Maybe some item lying on those steps....
    Any suggestions?
    E

I'd like to see a sharp strong shadow of a person on the Illuminated column. The lighting is all wrong to get an actual silhouette that isn't completely faked. (this is in the first image as I prefer that one :D)

Or possibly just darkening the shadows from the columns? That would mirror the shadows below the WM within the JM. Just throwing ideas kinda a random now, sorry if that doesn't help much ne_nau.gif
    Travis
  • wkriderwkrider Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2008
    I like them all but number three sticks out to me. I like the actual "Jefferson shot". The band of light ringing the top and the blue coming in from the back around Jefferson stood out nicely.
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif I like number three also - however I wish you'd have take one step to the left because I don't care for that blue around his back.
    wkrider wrote:
    I like them all but number three sticks out to me. I like the actual "Jefferson shot". The band of light ringing the top and the blue coming in from the back around Jefferson stood out nicely.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    I know im kinda late, and that you have already submitted number one, just wanted to say I think you picked the right one. I love them all, everytime I have ever visited D.C. I have always wanted to take evening shots, when the monuments were all lit up like that, but I always have only had a few hours to visit. Great shots!!
    edited January 30, 2008
    Thanks for all of the additional comments.
    Tried pushing up the black in LR to get those shadows 'crisper' but that stole from the sky so put it back as-is.
    Thanks also for the comments on #3. If anything, the lights reflecting at the base are what bother me the most. Will have to try cloning them out at some point...
    E
    edited January 30, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Thanks for all of the additional comments.
    Tried pushing up the black in LR to get those shadows 'crisper' but that stole from the sky so put it back as-is.
    Thanks also for the comments on #3. If anything, the lights reflecting at the base are what bother me the most. Will have to try cloning them out at some point...
    E

Open in PS and do a layer mask. darken your shadows without touching your sky :D
    Travis
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Open in PS and do a layer mask. darken your shadows without touching your sky :D
    15524779-Ti.gif That would give this wonderful composition just that little extra "oomph!"
    edited February 1, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:

Here I go showing my lack of PS knowledge. I duplicated the layer. Then added a layer mask to "background copy". Painted the everything but the shadows black. Then adjusted levels on the original layer to darken it. Didn't come out right though. Ended up looking very fake with harsh lines across the shadows.
    Where did I screw up?
    E
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Here I go showing my lack of PS knowledge. I duplicated the layer. Then added a layer mask to "background copy". Painted the everything but the shadows black. Then adjusted levels on the original layer to darken it. Didn't come out right though. Ended up looking very fake with harsh lines across the shadows.
    Where did I screw up?
    E

Without a sample image, I'm going to be shooting in the dark a bit with suggestions, but I can try. :D

Instead of tweaking levels, try tweaking the exposure to see if that helps at all.

If it still looks off, Ctrl + click (or Cmd +click on Mac) the mask to make it a selection, feather it a few pixels (1-10 for starters) and then refill the selection with white. This should get rid of the hard edges.

If that still looks off, try revealing the entire set of steps in the mask instead of only the shadows. ne_nau.gif

ETA: A completely different approach is to avoid the layer masking technique and create a dodge/burn layer. Alt + click the "new layer" button in your layer palette. In the pop-up window, select "Soft Light" from the blending mode drop down. This will then make live a small checkbox next to "Fill layer with 50% gray" (or something along those lines). Check it. You should have a new layer that looks like it's filled with gray on your palette, but your image should look unchanged.

Select your brush tool and set the opacity to around 12%. To darken areas, paint with black on that new soft light layer. To lighten areas, paint with white. Paint to taste. (If painting over the shadows once doesn't darken them enough for you, paint them again. The beauty of the 12% opacity is it allows you to build the dodge/burn gradually.)
    edited February 2, 2008
    Played with PS and got the following results:
    Original for reference
    248537511-L.jpg

Adjustment of brightness/contrast and shadows/highlights with mask to only include steps:
    249947604-L.jpg

Adjustment of brightness/contrast and shadows/highlights without mask:
    249947611-L.jpg

Adjustment of brightness/contrast and shadows/highlights with mask to exclude washington monument (was getting blown out):
    249948813-L.jpg

How did I do? Any of these better? Any other suggestions for this PS newbie???
    Thanks!
    E
    edited February 3, 2008
    Final PS Minutiae
    Any thoughts on these two versions?
    1. Original version with masking the Wash Monument and adjusting brightness and contrast on the rest
    249948813-M.jpg

2. Adjusted in PS with layer over wash monument first to keep it from blowing out then mask excluding wash monument to adjust brightness/contrast
    250416209-M.jpg

Thanks,
    E
    edited February 3, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Any thoughts on these two versions?
    1. Original version with masking the Wash Monument and adjusting brightness and contrast on the rest

2. Adjusted in PS with layer over wash monument first to keep it from blowing out then mask excluding wash monument to adjust brightness/contrast

Thanks,
    E

Of the two, I like the first one better. I think the colors are stronger and in the second one you softened the shadows from the columns. IMHO I think those shadows need to be pretty deep, to help balance the shadows at the base of the Wash monument. But that's just my aesthetics. I think you have a very powerful image to begin with. I can't make DC ever look that good (and when I try the security guards seem convinced I'm a terrorist).
    Travis
    edited February 3, 2008
    Thanks for the comments...and for getting me to learn about masks!
    E