First Post - First Sessions 6 pics

LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited January 30, 2008 in People
Well, I've been hanging out in the wildlife forum for a couple of years. but, I've decided to get into portrait photography and I'm hoping to build up a business over the next year or so. Here are some fave's from my first practice sessions that I took over Thanksgiving weekend with my new lights and bg.
The color is a bit off on some. I have some problem with my settings when using "save for web" My next investments will be PS upgrade and monitor calibrator.

C&C welcome and appreciated!

My co-workers g-daughter
226437426-M.jpg

226669671-M.jpg

226669662-M.jpg

226669682-M.jpghttp:226669682-M.jpg

My oldest granddaughter and my great-grandson

228109710-M.jpg

228109329-M.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Lisa

Comments

• j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    What a great group of photo's! As you stated, some colors are off. Also to me, they all look a bit overexposed. Kids have great expressions, nice!
    save for web

I don't use that anymore as it strips out the EXIF. EXIF will help for those that are giving critiques without you having to type it all in or have people asking, "what were your settings" all the time.

Lovely captures. thumb.gif
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    The comp on all the shots is great. If you can get expressions like that out of all the kids you photo, you'll be a huge success clap.gif

I agree that they do all seem a bit hot though. Not "blown out" but a bit too bright in my opinion. However, prints do usually come out darker then what I see on screen (though on the PC monitor i'm using it's usually close to print).

All in all thumb.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Thank you dark dragon and j-bo.

this feedback is a big help. The prints did not come out as hot, but I still think they should be toned down a bit. My shipment did come without two of the reflector cones. I'm wondering if that is part of the reason for light bleeding in from the backdrop lights

again I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thanks!!
    Lisa
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    You're dealing with some major flare here. Tone down your backdrop. On a white background your backlight should only be one stop brighter than your main to avoid flare but maintain "super white."
  • LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Thanks Owen,
    I appreciate the feedback.
    I'll post some others when I get a chance to set up again and take some more with some adjustments. We can hope for some major improvement!