Options

replace photo and suggestion and rant

GKPGKP Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited January 29, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Okay I received an order for something I shot last June, 350+ photos ordered.

I have proofing on and on the sale detail page it gives me the option to replace the photo. When I click there it gives me the browse photo / replace page and I browse to the photo and click replace. It started uploading (1800K or so in this case) after some time the page goes white, the url at the top reads ..

http://upload.smugmug.com/photos/replace.mg

and the browser reads done at the bottom.

Something is not right, I have replaced other photos before. Dont remember seeing a blank page.

Okay so I have no choice but to back browse because this page contains no data. So I go back and after waiting for 350+ photos thumbs to load in the sales page again, the new image is not there.

I goto the gallery and still same old image is there. I try to "replace" the photo in the gallery (not from the sales page) and I get the same thing. White blank page after a few minutes of uploading.

Some info:

Browser Firefox
Gallery was password protected and to save myself the time of going through my old DVD backups I changed the password, and made the originals available for viewing so I could download them work them and replace.

A Question I have also about proofing: does it matter if you replace the photo in the sales page or in gallery page? because the sale page loads awfully slow when there is more then say 20 photos.

Things I see that could be improved:

Let you always get originals as long as your logged in as the owner, so you don't have to flip around your galleries to get at them.

Paginate the sales detail pages. As stated above any sale that has more then 20 or so photos takes a year and a day to load + slows the browser to a crawl.

Gallery arrangement tools. Copy / Move via drag and drop.

More speed, I know Ive complained about this before, and it always seems to run full speed for everyone else, sorry but "it looks good from here" does not help me much.

My smugmug pages crawl on every connection I have tried it on. (5 different connections / locations / providers). When showing a client your stuff this is crucial. I am considering making a t-shirt that says "waiting for gkp.smugmug.com..." I have seen load times of over a minute when opening the main gallery page. Thats over 60 seconds of seeing the waiting for gkp.smugmug.com.. on the browser window. Also note I have no problems loading any other websites. I am on DSL and have run many speed tests from various servers (speakeasy.net has a nice set of tests) and get the advertised speeds on my DSL.

-Greg

Comments

• Options
    cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    GKP wrote:
    Things I see that could be improved:

Let you always get originals as long as your logged in as the owner, so you don't have to flip around your galleries to get at them.

-Greg

Oh man I would love to see this implemented. Why should we have to change our gallery customization just so that we who own the account can download a picture? This has bugged me for a long time.

As for the reupload tool I've seen that page before which has made me leary about using the reupload tool unless the image really needs some fixin'
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Hi, are you certain the photo you are reuploading is a) less than 48 megapixels, b) less than 24megabytes, c) in sRGB colorspace and d) a .jpg ?
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    FWIW, I was having a bit of trouble yesterday morning trying to replace a photo in my gallery--it was doing the same thing as described above. I haven't retried since.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, are you certain the photo you are reuploading is a) less than 48 megapixels, b) less than 24megabytes, c) in sRGB colorspace and d) a .jpg ?

A. 12 megapixels (Canon 5D)
    B. 1853K file size
    C. I only work in sRGB
    D. Yup its a standard encoded Jpg

To edit the photos I downloaded it back off smugmug Original size, edited, saved, tried replace photo, failed.

-G
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    I just did the exact same thing as yesterday, and it worked or so it seems (no white screen). I would still like a reply as to why this could have happened. I changed nothing on my end (browser, file, DSL all the same).

My other question still remains. Does it matter for the order where I replace the photo from? I would like to jot down the filenames of the ones I want to replace and replace them in the gallery (which is paginated) as opposed to the slow "load the whole order" sales detail page.

-G