Options

Is Smuggie Server Asleep

vegasphotogvegasphotog Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited February 4, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
12 miinutes to load a page in my gallery...YIKES.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 29, 2008

It seems bandwidth related.....one page will load, I try and go to the next page and it take 10-15 minutes.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Seems to work just fine for me?

Have you tried a different computer? connection? resetting things? Did it make a difference? Do you have problems loading other sites? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Seems to work just fine for me?

Have you tried a different computer? connection? resetting things? Did it make a difference? Do you have problems loading other sites? ear.gif

No problems with any other sites....

Try this page if you would not mind....

http://vegasphotographics.smugmug.com/gallery/1781584#P-9-15

and, then go to the next page.....
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 29, 2008
    Hi :)

I'm sorry you are finding your site slow! It loaded right up for me almost instantly, as did your galleries.

Let's try a couple of things:

Looks like you are using Firefox mainly.

Can you please clear your cache and cookies and see if that will help?

Clearing Cache and Cookies in Firefox 2.0:

From the *|Tools|* menu, select *|Clear Private Data|*, and then choose *|Cache|*.

Cookies in Firefox:

1. Open Firefox and go to * Tools | Options*.
    2. Click *Privacy*.
    3. Click the "Show Cookies" button and then click the *Remove All
    Cookies* button.

If it does not, would you mind running a line quality test for us? You go here:

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality

Sign up and run the test. Registration there is free. After you run the test, copy the link to the results for us. That will let us know if there is an issue with the line preventing photos from arriving to our servers. Email (http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal) us the link to the results when you get them.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    Hmmm..thanks everyone...I cleared my cache...and, it does seem to be a FF issue.....it is still sticking in FF but IE7 everything loads up.....thanks a bunch....that is also weird....in advrider.com.....my embedded pix load right away in IE but still the delay in FF.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    Hmmm..thanks everyone...I cleared my cache...and, it does seem to be a FF issue.....it is still sticking in FF but IE7 everything loads up.....thanks a bunch....that is also weird....in advrider.com.....my embedded pix load right away in IE but still the delay in FF.

Make sure you have the most recent version of java installed. From Firefox, go here:

http://www.java.com

Also, are you running any Firefox extensions or add-ons?
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Make sure you have the most recent version of java installed. From Firefox, go here:

Yep, I am running quite a few extensions.....but, this is my first noticeable occurance with Smuggie and I have not installed any extensions in the last couple of weeks.....
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    it does seem to be a FF issue
    You can also just hold down shift and hit the refresh button. It does 90% of what Barb said (minus the steps). And has cleared up any slow load issues I've had w/ SMthumb.gif
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Barb wrote:

Barb -- why would Java matter? AFAIK, SmugMug doesn't use Java anywhere on the site, and I didn't see any on vegasphoto's site.

On Firefox on Linux, I am seeing some oddness where the thumbs load but the main images do not. This was fixed after I cleared cookies.

I wonder if this is related to the security fixes that Don rolled out a few days ago.

If so, that's unfortunate.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,277 moderator
    edited January 30, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Barb -- why would Java matter? AFAIK, SmugMug doesn't use Java anywhere on the site, and I didn't see any on vegasphoto's site.

On Firefox on Linux, I am seeing some oddness where the thumbs load but the main images do not. This was fixed after I cleared cookies.

I wonder if this is related to the security fixes that Don rolled out a few days ago.

She's not talking about Javascript but about Java, the programming language. The Java Barb referred to in her post is the runtime component that needs to be present for a Java applet to run; she wanted to make sure that the most current version of Java was installed on the computer where the problem was seen. More on the technology at http://www.java.com/en/about/.

--- Denise
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Hi Denise:

Yes, I know the difference between Java and JavaScript. My point was that vegasphotog's problem was having pages load slowly, and as far as I know, SmugMug does not use Java on gallery pages.

Java *is* used for the Simple uploader app, but not on pages like the one Vegas linked to.

So I was questioning Barb's suggestion for Vegas to update his version of Java, because it doesn't seem like it be relevant to the problem at hand, *viewing* photos, not uploading them.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    darryl wrote:

You're right - it doesn't have to do with viewing the galleries. I actually responded to this thread thinking I was responding to another one. My bad! Too many tabs open at the same time :) We only use java on our java uploader.

I do not believe it has anything to do with recent changes/fixes on the site. It sounds like a connectivity issue. Oftentimes, clearing the cache will help. Certain Firefox extensions can make a difference, also. It's possible it corrected itself.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign