Digital Negatives Files?

djspinner2kdjspinner2k Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited January 31, 2008 in Technique
I have seen photographer offer digital negatives in there packages, for instance a wedding package that has the person go online to see proofs and order print. and then also offering the person a cd of the proof images set up so that they can print 4x6 if they want. and only 4x6s.

My question is How is this done? I want to offer cd in my low packages that have files to print only 4x6s. I guess one way is to shrink down the resolution.

are there any other ways?
EVGENY:D
www.petrovphotography.com
http://petrovphotography.smugmug.com

Canon 30D
Canon 24-70mm F2.8L
Canon 70-200mm F2.8L
Canon 430EX Flash

Comments

• djspinner2kdjspinner2k Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    bump
    EVGENY:D
    www.petrovphotography.com
    http://petrovphotography.smugmug.com

Canon 30D
    Canon 24-70mm F2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm F2.8L
    Canon 430EX Flash
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 31, 2008
    while your question pertains to running your business you are actually asking for technical advice, so I'm going to move you over to "technique" to see if you get responses. :D
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    I thnk ppl were confused about this post since the title says Digital Negatives. And Adobe make a propitary "RAW" file called Digital Negatives (.dng) so you don't have to worry about finding out years down the road, you can't open your propitary RAW files w/ software.

Your correct. It's all about resolution. The person with the image CAN print it at a larger size. It will just look very pixelated and generally like crap.

There's a caveat to this though. If the person doesn't know jack about photos and decides to print an 11x17 of their favorite shot and frame it (read, being cheap). Every person that sees this print is going to wonder who took that horribly low resolution picture. I have a feeling this happens more times than not; although I have nothing to substantiate that.

I think a better alternative is to provide them with a higher resolution image and use watermarks. But this is personal preference. I like ppl being able to zoom all the way into a detail and still see it clearly. IMO it helps them feel more comfortable spending the money since they see it's pro level resolution. (and hopefully a pro level shotmwink.gif )

Cheers,
    -Jon