DPReview launches lens reviews

wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
edited January 30, 2008 in Cameras
And the interface is money. Enjoy!

Comments

• glassandgear.comglassandgear.com Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I noticed that they had announced lens reviews earlier this morning but didn't bother clicking the link, I wish I had. That is one cool interface for lens reviews.
    http://www.glassandgear.com

Professional Photography Rentals
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    thanks for the info....thats pretty awesome
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    that sharpness/CA widget thingy is freakin awesome... can't wait till they get a good selection of lenses up.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    f00sion wrote:
    that sharpness/CA widget thingy is freakin awesome... can't wait till they get a good selection of lenses up.
    That widget is trying to force me to use flash :puke
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    I like dpreview in general, but I hope that their lens reviews don't follow the path of their camera reviews, which apparently grades on a curve. The last "Average"-rated camera is from five years ago! And apparently no one has made a "Below Average" camera since 2002!

I guess I'm saying, I like their methodology, but there's a lot of read-between-the-lines to their conclusions.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    I like dpreview in general, but I hope that their lens reviews don't follow the path of their camera reviews, which apparently grades on a curve. The last "Average"-rated camera is from five years ago! And apparently no one has made a "Below Average" camera since 2002!

I guess I'm saying, I like their methodology, but there's a lot of read-between-the-lines to their conclusions.

Also consider that they have become more selective in the cameras they are reviewing - a lot of the mediocre cameras aren't being reviewed.

I agree - the new lens review interface is really nice!
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Very cool interface. It will be more useful when they get more reviews. I'm hoping they are wise enough to adopt one of Klaus' policies over at photozone: keep the body the same. It makes the test results comparable across all lens reviews. I know he's caught flack for sticking with the Rebel, but that allows the relative results from the latest test to be comparable to ones he did a while ago.
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Very cool interface. It will be more useful when they get more reviews. I'm hoping they are wise enough to adopt one of Klaus' policies over at photozone: keep the body the same. It makes the test results comparable across all lens reviews. I know he's caught flack for sticking with the Rebel, but that allows the relative results from the latest test to be comparable to ones he did a while ago.

I agree re the body. The other thing I'm wondering is how (if?) they're accounting for sample variation.