What color mode do you shoot in? I, II or III

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited January 30, 2008 in Technique
I've used II for the longest time. I have an idea what the difference between the three modes are. But I'm interested in hearing what mode you shoot in and why?

EDIT:
For all you Canon users. I'm asking what color space your using. sRGB or Adobe RGB.
I is sRGB
II is Adobe RGB
III oh wait, you don't have that..

WHAt color mode do you shoot in? 9 votes

Mode I
11%
ChrisJ 1 vote
Mode II
33%
SloYerRollHiSPLcjmchch 3 votes
mode III
11%
wes600rr 1 vote
What is a mode?
44%
pathfinderEric&SusanCuongTango 4 votes

Comments

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    What is a mode?
    Since I voted for What's a mode? now I have to ask:

What's a mode?

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Mode II
    In Canon talk I believe it's called Color Space. you have two options on your camera. sRGB abd Adobe RGB.

Nikon has color modes I, II & III.
    Mode I gives neutral color and saves in sRGB color space. Mode II saves in AdobeRGB color space (which is larger than sRGB). Mode III is also sRGB and has "enhanced" colors (it over-saturates everything).
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Shoot RAW, have all the data available and process in any colorspace you want, from the RAW file.

If you MUST or DO shoot JPG, and your destination is the web (like SmugMug) and a commercial lab (like SmugMug) then shoot in sRGB.

If you shoot in Adobe, be sure to convert to sRGB before you go to the web with your photos.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    What is a mode?
    if in jpeg fine:
    with nikon i use sRGB & normal mode
    i never liked how the camera would caputre somthing with the higher color settings...

with canon
    in sports i use sRGB normal

landscape i use raw
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 30, 2008
    Mode II
    Looks like I'm showing abit of my ignorance here. I understand what RAW is and only shoot RAW. But doesn't the color mode still effect the RAW preview of the shot?

This was my main reason for asking. Since I thought id did affect the image. You could just make changes to taste in post.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    What is a mode?
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Looks like I'm showing abit of my ignorance here. I understand what RAW is and only shoot RAW. But doesn't the color mode still effect the RAW preview of the shot?

This was my main reason for asking. Since I thought id did affect the image. You could just make changes to taste in post.

i had the same thinking...but RAW trumps all color space because its collecting everything....headscratch.gif or whatever, something like that

jpeg uses color space code
    Aaron Nelson
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

No worries at all, heck, everything these days is so complicated, and there's sooooo much to understand and knowthumb.gif

Color mode only affects in-camera created JPGS. Doesn't do bupkus to the RAW file.
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    RAW and sRGB. I tried shooting jpeg/adobe RGB just to see the difference, and basically they looked like the saturation was set to -1 or so.

FWIW, when you process RAWs in DPP all you have to do is click adjustments > work color space to switch between them. So, I don't think it really matters what you set in cam.
    edited January 30, 2008
    Mode II
    Thanks for the comment William. I was hoping to find out anyone that had any real life experience w/ Nikon color mode III but wanted to ask a broader question so I wouldn't miss out on any knowledge. Now I'm glad I did.

Mode III is supposed to make the colors really pop. I like my images to look nice and bright. But not like ameture night where everything is oversaturated etc. You know the type of shot I'm talking about I'm sure...