Mizen Head, Ireland

LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited February 1, 2008 in Landscapes
We took a driving vacation through Ireland in Sep. So most of my shots are from a moving car. Here is one where I was actually stationary. It is one of my faves. Mizen Head is the most southwestern spot on the island.

C&C welcome and appreciated.
Lisa

PS Ireland in Sep is pretty overcast and rainy - had to take what I got.
204740556-L.jpghttp:204740556-L.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Lisa,

Despite the overcast, wet weather you captured the rugged, ancient nature of the raw country. And that is what Ireland is all about! I was there in the month of November which is low season for a good reason: lots of rain and the days are so short there's really not much to do. :giggle

It's still a beautiful country. What is the building on the outcrop?
  • LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Lisa,

Despite the overcast, wet weather you captured the rugged, ancient nature of the raw country. And that is what Ireland is all about! I was there in the month of November which is low season for a good reason: lots of rain and the days are so short there's really not much to do. :giggle

It's still a beautiful country. What is the building on the outcrop?

Thanks for taking the time to comment Schmoo.

There are actually three small white buildings on the end of the peninsula - which is actually and island. They are the "light house". The building were used as a sort of base that housed communications equipment and there is a small light on the other side.

204740948-M.jpg204740948-M.jpgtp:

It seamed as if they call their lighthouses "heads". So, "Mizen Head" instead of "Mizen Light". I saw another lighthouse outside of Kinsale that was called "Old Head"

Ooops - TMI. Thanks for you interest.

How'd you like the roads in Ireland?

215269552-M.jpg

a little windshield glare there.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif Yep those roads look about right! We had rented a tiny car but I was seriously amazed at the average width of a two-way "street" in Ireland.

Thanks for the info on lighthouses! I had no idea about that and never would have thought to ask if I go back. thumb.gif