Promo piece for my photography business

martinezphotomartinezphoto Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited January 31, 2008 in People
I shoot mostly models so I put together this promo piece, comments are welcome.

http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22596&stc=1&d=1201666994
www.victormartinezphoto.com

Canon eos Mark II N
Tamron 28-70 2.8
Canon 70-200 2.8
Canon speedlite 580 EX flash

Comments

• CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    Hi there,
    I really like the simplicity of the image as a whole.. white background, simple fonts, nothing too crazy..
    All in all I really like it; the one thing that kinda bothers me though, is her eye looks a little glassy? It could just be the colour of her eyes\pp\lighting, who knows, but I'd like to see a little more sparkle! Also just the possibility of having your font just a tad larger!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    I agree with the above poster. The overall piece is nice, but her eye is creepy.

I think it's because her eye is completely dilated. Did you not have modeling lights on or did she just come from the eye doctor?
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    HiSPL wrote:
    Did you not have modeling lights on or did she just come from the eye doctor?
    lol That gave me a chuckle!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    You can just see a ring of iris and 15524779-Ti.gif - that makes it look a little strange.

I'm also a freak for balance and symmentry and I think it so that the left edge of the photo goes right down the center of her face would be a little more effective.

Oh, BTW - she is absolutely stunning - love her skin!
  • Wet OregonWet Oregon Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Promo piece for my photograhy business
    "Eye" catching card; my minor concern is that the model's eye is really not sharp so it adds a little too much softness to the overall photo; dont crop it any tighter..the divided face is great..skin tones right on..and placing the model's face on the left side of the photo leads right into the text/type.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Agree with others. The first thing I noticed was "the eye"rolleyes1.gif

It's a little soft and a little disrtacting looking.

One other thing is there is a prominent band of green CA along her shoulder that should be PPed out.

Otherwise I like the overall look of the material.

Gene
  • slodaveslodave Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    I agree with the eye, but more notiable to me, is the symmetry of her face. I think you should crop on the center of her upper lip. Other than tha, it the picture is very nice.
    Dave

On a steep learning curve...
    Nikon D100, Nikon 18-135mm, Tamron 5.6 200-400mm
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    I agree...great shot but the eye really does detract. It almost looks like she has a dark color contact or a burn tool a little to heavily applied.thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    I like the concept---Simplicity is great. As far as the model goes-- I don't know jack about model makeup, but it looks like she has a lot on. Her skin almost looks clay-likene_nau.gif. Or us that how they always look in close portraits?
  • AdaptiveAdaptive Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    1 - Eye is super dialated. Instead of using hot lights try strobes next time.

2 - Don't gassuan blur soo much, Skin looks VERY fake.

3 - Ear.... I don't even want to know what's going on with her ear. Looks like she is something off of star trek.

4 - Detail Detail Detail... Where is it? When you are shooting this close your image should be SUPER SHARP and full of Detail...

5 - Good luck, keep trying
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    It's weird. It looks like you were going for a really clean and smooth image and I like the concept. I would prefer it if the eye was in focus even if it was the only thing in focus. As it is, I don't like it. The blurriness of the eye is making me feel like when I first take my glasses off. The dark spot on her nose is also distracting. Her ear? Something under her ear? Dark spot on her lip.
    Try and reshoot the same thing.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • DNagataDNagata Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    The skin looks over-processed to the point of distraction. There isn't enough tones in it to look realistic. It's my understanding that these days with makeup, you still "sculpt" your face using darker shades to give it more depth. Also, when retouching skin, it's important to leave some realistic texture. The point is to make the retouching so subtle that the casual viewer won't notice it's been retouched (although we usually assume it has been anyway :D )