Options

Problems opening RAW photos in CS3 Extended

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited February 20, 2008 in Finishing School
Once again this Photoshop CS3 Extended is driving me mad. I have been in the habit of transferring RAW photos onto CS3 without any problem. Today I took 12 shots in RAW and transferred them as normal into 'My Pictures' folder on the computer. When I tried to open them in CS3 I was confronted with a small dialogue saying " Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document." Could someone please tell me what to do. I seem to be having a bad spell with CS3 at the moment. Just one thing after another. Sorry for troubling you.
Kind regards

Bob

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Wow, I'm sorry your having such huge issues. I'd HATE photshop at this point if I were you.

First things first. Let's see if your version of Photoshop is up to date.
    Select Help>Updates

See what happens. We'll go from there.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Could someone please tell me what to do. I seem to be having a bad spell with CS3 at the moment.

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop or ImageReady. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Wow, I'm sorry your having such huge issues. I'd HATE photshop at this point if I were you.

First things first. Let's see if your version of Photoshop is up to date.
    Select Help>Updates

See what happens. We'll go from there.

Hi Jon

I am still pulling my hair out as I just cannot understand why I am not able to get a raw photo to display in CS3 . I have tried the updates and all is ok.

Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop or ImageReady. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

Thanks for your help. I have tried and it is just the same.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    What camera? What version of Camera Raw?
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    arodney wrote:

Going by his name I'd think it was a Nikon of some sortwings.gif

• Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    arodney wrote:

I am usiong a Canon 40D. I have been doing everything as normal. Shooting raw and been able to bring themn up on the CS3. NMow this has happened and I just cannot understand why. I have uninstalled CS3 and reinstalled and I find it will not accept my RAW photos and keep getting that damned same message. It will not accept etc.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    cjmchch wrote:

I use a Canon 400d and a Canon 40D. I have had no problems up until now with using the RAW and CS3 but this damned stupid dialogue keeps coming up every time I try to produce a raw photo into CS3. I do all my photos in raw and you will understand how frustrated I am geting.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    I am usiong a Canon 40D. I have been doing everything as normal. Shooting raw and been able to bring themn up on the CS3. NMow this has happened and I just cannot understand why. I have uninstalled CS3 and reinstalled and I find it will not accept my RAW photos and keep getting that damned same message. It will not accept etc.
    Cheers
    Bob

Uninstalling will not delete the files that contain your preferences etc....

Did you read the Knowledge Base article that I posted above from the Adobe site that tells you how to remedy your problem?

• Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Cheers
    Bob

See if you can convert them into DNG using the free standalone DNG converter.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    cjmchch wrote:
    Uninstalling will not delete the files that contain your preferences etc....

Did you read the Knowledge Base article that I posted above from the Adobe site that tells you how to remedy your problem?

Thanks a lot CJ
    I have read the link you sent me and I am trying to sus it out. I appreciate your help so much.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    See if you can convert them into DNG using the free standalone DNG converter.

Thanks Andrew for your kind help. Can you please tell me what DNG is and where I can get the converter.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Andrew for your kind help. Can you please tell me what DNG is and where I can get the converter.
    Regards
    Bob

You can get it here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

As to DNG:
    http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200709_adobedng.pdf
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    arodney wrote:

Thanks for the above. I am sorry for the delay in replying but I have just returned from being away. I have downloaded the DNG and I am able to convert my RAW files. I can also convert them with DPP too. I am still at a loss why I keep getting this dialogue when I try to put a Raw pic in when I was able to do it ok before. My first job now is to convert them to Jpegs.
    Regards

Bob
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    cjmchch wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks for the above. I am sorry for the delay in replying but I have just returned from being away. I have downloaded the DNG and I am able to convert my RAW files. I can also convert them with DPP too. I am still at a loss why I keep getting this dialogue when I try to put a Raw pic in when I was able to do it ok before. My first job now is to convert them to Jpegs.
    Regards

Bob
    I use Lightroom and own, but have not yet come close to understanding, CS3, so caveat that I am perhaps the last person who should be weighing in here, but in trying to figure out CS3, it has been my impression anyway that it's unconventional to take raw images straight into CS3, but that instead you would first do your raw processing in Bridge or LR. I'll shut up now.