Knee Pads

ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited February 4, 2008 in Sports
Any of you use knee pads for your sports photography? If so, what type/brand do you recommend?
Thanks

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    I have a pair of ones that I purchased 20 years ago when I was into skateboarding. They make a huge difference, especially when kneeling on concrete for shooting running events. Check out a used goods sports shop (like Play It Again Sports) and you can usually find some cheap.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    I use volleyball knee pads because they fit under my pants. Not AS effective as a hard rubber knee pad but still good enough and just presents a cleaner look IMO.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    My old company bought me a pair for a project I was doing and let me keep them. They are some commercial gel ultra squishy brand.
    I don't use them much, but when I do use them. They are true lifesavers!
  • rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Shamguess wrote:
    Any of you use knee pads for your sports photography? If so, what type/brand do you recommend?
    Thanks

ditto on the pads..:D
    I shoot m/c dragracing and stunt riding and use "bike" brand (soft and machine washable) avail at big 5 sporting goods approx $7-10 a pair.
    98% of the time I'm wearing shorts- as it's CA summertime 85-110 degrees with a track surface 20-30 degrees hotter- I see some that carry and throw down a washcloth before they kneel (?) being down from that lower position adds a whole new perspective to the shots ( holds true for pretty much ANY sporting event ) - well worth it in my opinion-also a fanny pack that has a water bottle holder - I never go to ANY shoots without those items... deal.gif

drop a tenner and try 'em out - I think you'll be pleased! mwink.gif
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • John PatrickJohn Patrick Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Shamguess wrote:
    Thanks

Always have a pair on at the field, and whatever fits you/feels best.

I have noticed that I kneel for a bit, then just sit on the ground for a while, then kneel again. Staying in one position for too long starts to get uncomfortable, and when varying position, I also see about moving for a better angle.

I notice that when I'm kneeling, my 300 is on the monopod, yet while sitting, I take it off. Gotta love RRS clamps for that.

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter
  • frozenropefrozenrope Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Shamguess wrote:
    Thanks

I recommend using the knee/shin pads usually used for softball. This gives you padding across your lower leg rather than just the knee and they are wrapped above the knee and across the calf for flexibility and comfort.

i-navy.jpg
    Randy
    SHARPSHOOTER sports photography
    Canon Digital Gear
    Click here to Visit my website
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    How about some rolling kneepads? thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops