How to control flash glare

AugieAugie Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited January 31, 2008 in Holy Macro
I am shooting some Russian lacquer boxes for some macro practice. These boxes are gloss black with intricate details hand painted.

Problem is flash glare on the sides of the boxes. The camera is a D300 with 105mmF2.8 I have tried the on camera flash, Nikons R1C1 macro flash. I used direct (the worst glare) Bounce off a reflector (still bad) difuse ( still bad)

What techniques are used with macro flash on reflective surfaces that I have missed?

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Interesting problem.
    Certainly not an expert at this but if you are using a single flash with a diffuser them you may have to simply get the flash angle/box angle where the flash reflections are not reflected back into the camera.
    I suspect if you tried using the more normal light tent with multiple light sources the reflection problem may actually be worse. Only other suggestion would be to try shooting in direct sunlight using a circular polariser but this would not work with flash.

Brian V.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    The task you describe is actually one of the examples used in the excellent book, Light, Science and Magic. Get it. Seriously. I consider it the best $50 (US) I ever spent on photography.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • AugieAugie Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Interesting problem.
    Certainly not an expert at this but if you are using a single flash with a diffuser them you may have to simply get the flash angle/box angle where the flash reflections are not reflected back into the camera.
    I suspect if you tried using the more normal light tent with multiple light sources the reflection problem may actually be worse. Only other suggestion would be to try shooting in direct sunlight using a circular polariser but this would not work with flash.

Brian V.
    Interesting idea. Increase the angle of the box from 90 deg to the lens to say 75 deg. Close down the Fstop to increase the depth of field.

bowdown.gif

That worked and the colors are vivid as well. Will post the results later when I get on computer not this limited laptop

I'll have to wait till tomoorow to shoot with direct sunlight.
    edited January 30, 2008
    With an idea post by Brian and Icebear I shot a some macros of Russian lacquer boxes.

These are hand painted on black lacquer.

Original is about 1X2inches
    249204543-L.jpg

249205128-M.jpg

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Well it looks like you got some reasonable shots :) Must admit I thought you meant shooting the whole box not just one face :)

brian V.
    edited January 31, 2008
    Well it looks like you got some reasonable shots :) Must admit I thought you meant shooting the whole box not just one face :)

brian V.
    What fun would there be in a black box, when the interesting stuff is on the cover?
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Fun I dunno. Challenge maybe. To properly expose for the black lacquer box AND the flowers . . . now you're talkin'.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited January 31, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Fun I dunno. Challenge maybe. To properly expose for the black lacquer box AND the flowers . . . now you're talkin'.
    OK OK I take it that you are throwing down the proverbial gauntlet. ne_nau.gifscratch

I think that I will take Brian's advice and shoot in the sunlight. That will have to be over the weekend. (rain tomorrow) Off to the store tomorrow for an appropriate background. deal.gif