Sunrise at Bryce Canyon

argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited January 31, 2008 in Landscapes
Taken with Canon 5D with 24-105L. Kind of on the fence with this one...

219992583-XL.jpg
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    since i live just down the corner from here and dont have one picture i was happy to see it...
    i looked at this in lightroom and enhanced a bit.
    looks real good with some added blacks, clarity...and a hint of vib/sat
    ive had light room for a few days and just find it fascinating
    Aaron Nelson
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    I found I came up against the same problem when I was in pretty much the same location. It's tough from up high to get a great shot of Bryce, IMO, because the whole canyon in front of you doesn't necessarily make a great subject. I think that's the case with this shot. The canyon is always stunning, IMO, but in this image my eye wanders around, looking for a home. The processing also looks a little flat to me, but I am viewing on my laptop, which I don't really trust all that much for critical viewing.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I found I came up against the same problem when I was in pretty much the same location. It's tough from up high to get a great shot of Bryce, IMO, because the whole canyon in front of you doesn't necessarily make a great subject. I think that's the case with this shot. The canyon is always stunning, IMO, but in this image my eye wanders around, looking for a home. The processing also looks a little flat to me, but I am viewing on my laptop, which I don't really trust all that much for critical viewing.

would cropping off the top 20% help ?
    Aaron Nelson
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    would cropping off the top 20% help ?

The shot just doesn't interest me, and believe me, I came back from Bryce with plenty just like it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    Seems a bit tippy, but looks like an awesome place!
    Growing with Dgrin

• giogio Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2008
    Nice capture !

Even if I've been there just for few hours, I remember Bryce (together with Antelope Canyon) as the most photogenic place in my Arizona/Utah trip.

Bye.

Giovanni.
  • argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    I probably should have mentioned that the pic was shot in RAW and then converted. Other than that, didn't do any PP on this one yet, but now I have a few ideas on where to start to see if I can make something out of it. Shooting Bryce from up high can be a mixed bag...I have a few other 16x20 prints that were bought by a corporate client, so naturally I'm looking to see if this one has any potential with a bit of PP.
    "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer