D50 and D300 possible problem. Thoughts?

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited January 31, 2008 in Cameras
I have gone from D50 to D300 and I love my new camera. But sometimes I find myself concerned that I should have the D300 checked out. First I have read some post about a few small problems with the early ones(bought mine after Thanksgiving). I have gotten some real nice captures with it but it does not seem that it is where it should be in sharpness. I have a Sigma 170-500 which is known for being a little soft. I have adjusted AF fine tuning to optimize the focus. But when I am shooting with the same lens on my D50 I am getting sometimes better results. I also have gotten a prime Sigma 400mm f5.6 which I have included pictures
I seem to get better auto focus more consistently on the D50 I do not know if I am just being paranoid or not.
I need to get them on a more fixed target. So I can really eliminate the variables.
Would like thoughts and opinions because I am still fairly new at this.

Captures as shot no PP 100% crop
D300 Sigma 170-500 1/500 f9 400mm on both shots sun going in and out of clouds Same settings on picture below
249346992-M.jpg

D50

249347176-M.jpg

D300 Sigma 400mm 1/500 f8
249349311-M.jpg

D50 Sigma 400 mm 1/500 f7.1

249350700-M.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Can't tell much from your pictures. What AF setting were you using on each camera? On what exactly were you focusing?

Keep in mind the D300 has a lot higher resolution than your D50; any error or fault (yours or the camera's or the lens') will be magnified. I had similar issues when first transitioning from my D70. Better, more attentive technique on my part solved the problems.

Or there could be something wrong with your D300. :D
    Tim
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    They were both in spot af and manual ISO 400 from a tripod same location only setting difference was that I had to change the EV on the 300 to get the roughly same histogram profile the 300 tends to shoot overexposed with the Sigms 170-500 lens. I know there are still varibles in this situation a fixed subject would have been better but I had a chance to do this at this spot.
    I had wodered if the higher reslolution actually causes more problems because it will capture more movement, it is double the D50 in pixels.
    I have over 8000 actuations on the D50 over 3 years and I have almost caught up to it with the D300 in 3 months.
    I have gotten some outstanding captures with the 300 but it is growing wonder alll the shots that have I had thrown away.
    Even using tripod, remote release, or timer.
    I just wanted to throw this out here to see if I might have something to worry about.
    The experiment will continue.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/