How good are the Nikon Primes ?

TallyHoTallyHo Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited January 31, 2008 in Cameras
Im going to be buying a D300 soon and am thinking what primes to get (probably something in the 28, 50 and 80 ranges)

Ive been reading reviews on photozone.de and the ones I've read so far dont seem to inspire me with confidence. They seem to have lots of barrelling issues which granted they are cheaper lenses but being primes id have thought this wouldnt be so much of an issue.

Canon seems to have some nice primes, am i just not seeing the nikon ones ??

Thanks

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    TallyHo wrote:
    Im going to be buying a D300 soon and am thinking what primes to get (probably something in the 28, 50 and 80 ranges)

Ive been reading reviews on photozone.de and the ones I've read so far dont seem to inspire me with confidence. They seem to have lots of barrelling issues which granted they are cheaper lenses but being primes id have thought this wouldnt be so much of an issue.

Canon seems to have some nice primes, am i just not seeing the nikon ones ??

Thanks

So far I've shot with the 10.5 2.8, 14mm 2.8, the 60mm 2.8 micro, the 50mm 1.8, the 85mm 1.4, the 300mm, and the 500mm f/4. Everyone of those lenses have delivered fine performance so far.

I haven't shot with the 200mm F/2 but everyone I know who has shot with it raves about it. I have used the 85mm 1.4 extensively and its performace has always amazed me.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"