Iso 6400

beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
edited February 1, 2008 in Sports
here's a sport that "wrestles" (oh boy I crack me up) with gymnastics for toughest overall conditions.
All the lights in the gym are off except for one, the matt light, this light hangs over the center of the matt @ 10 to 12 feet up illuminating at best the center of the matt.
Here it is Sony a700, manual, custom WB, Sigma 70-200 2.8 @100mm,ISO 6400, ss250, f/2.8
249384617-M-2.jpg

Here's the O if you want to see the noise

Comments

• beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Just to ilustrate the lighing scenario
    249394425-M.jpg
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    well donethumb.gif why do they need all the lights off?? I can't believe it is that much of a distraction
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
    edited January 31, 2008
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    well donethumb.gif why do they need all the lights off?? I can't believe it is that much of a distraction
    The lights are on at the middle school meets and at these meets for JV, they also alow flash photography (or at least don't egressively discourage it) The light go down for the varsity portion of the meet only, so I do believe that it is strictly for drama, this is the only location I have seen or shot varsity wrestling so it could be different elsewhere.
  • PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    I've never seen wrestling done in such dramatic lighting. (if you consider down light dramatic...)

It makes for great photos, though. Nice job. The ISO6400 noise sucks in the original, but I hardly notice it in the smaller version.
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Pilznr wrote:
    I've never seen wrestling done in such dramatic lighting. (if you consider down light dramatic...)

It makes for great photos, though. Nice job. The ISO6400 noise sucks in the original, but I hardly notice it in the smaller version.

surely you are kidding (about the noise in the original)
    I think it was remarkably clean (maybe had a NR look to it)
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    impressive work !
    is this sony's new cmos sensor that nikon has just started using ?
  • will-jumwill-jum Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    How is there no noise with that much iso?
    edited February 1, 2008
    How is there no noise with that much iso?

"no noise" is an overstatment
    Propper exposure and focus help reduce the appearence of noise
    It's a great camera with a great sensor.thumb.gif I am looking forward to the upcoming release of the a900 or whatever they are going to call it
    I think it was remarkably clean (maybe had a NR look to it)

I did run it through a little cs2 with a color corection layer and used psp xi for the NR

Here is the version with absolutly no PP. It's worth noting that these were taken at the smallest poss. size and most poss. compression as well
    I do beleive I have the high ISO NR on in the camera though.
    249695737-M.jpg

and the O
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    [quote=beetle8
    I do beleive I have the high ISO NR on in the camera though.
    [/quote]

Nice shot. I kinda like the dramatic lighting. I also might suggest trying it w/o the in-camera NR and see what results you get by starting from scratch. I've found in-camera NR to be a bit heavy-handed and you might retain a bit more detail if you do the NR in post processing.

Worth a try just to see which works better.
    edited February 1, 2008
    Worth a try just to see which works better.
    I agree John, I technically should already know the difference in finished product. I just checked the camera and the NR is in fact on. There is no OFF believe it or not only low-normal-high