VR on or off with monopod & Nikon 70-200mm VR lens?

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited January 31, 2008 in Cameras
I will be renting the Nikon 70-200mm VR lens today. (Try not to laugh to hard but) I will be using it on my D50. I would like to taste the best Nikon has to offer and think my D50 should do an ok job. I normally use the Nikon 18-200 VR lens.

Anyway…if I am using it on a mono pod or tripod, do I leave the VR on or off? What about Active or Normal. I don’t foresee doing any panning shots.

Thanks!
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    net1994 wrote:
    I will be renting the Nikon 70-200mm VR lens today. (Try not to laugh to hard but) I will be using it on my D50. I would like to taste the best Nikon has to offer and think my D50 should do an ok job. I normally use the Nikon 18-200 VR lens.

Anyway…if I am using it on a mono pod or tripod, do I leave the VR on or off? What about Active or Normal. I don’t foresee doing any panning shots.

Thanks!

You will love that lens. Set the VR to normal.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Do as Harry says. "Active" is for shooting from a car, helicopter, boat, or any other moving platform.

For the best results you'll want to initiate AF and then give the lens a moment or two to engage/stabilize the VR mechanism.
    Tim
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    net1994 wrote:
    (Try not to laugh to hard but) I will be using it on my D50.
    Thanks!

No laughing here - I've got a friend who has some premium Nikon lenses and has used his D50 for the past 18 months. He has some amazing stuff that he has done with the D50. He did just buy a D200 but is keeping the D50 as a backup.

Post your results!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen