Women's college basketball

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited February 4, 2008 in Sports
I'm going to my first college basketball game on Sunday - Miami vs. Boston College at Conte Forum. The lighting shouldn't be that bad considering it's a pretty major arena. I read the tutorials and threads here about shooting basketball which was a help, but I'm waffling on which lenses to bring - I don't really have one that is fast aperture and fast focusing at the same time.

Because they have a limit on camera lens length (4"), I can't bring the 70-200 f/2.8 that I wanted to. That leaves these lenses:

24-105 f/4L IS - slow aperture, IS won't help action shots but would help static shots (sidelines, fans)

28-75 f/2.8 - better aperture but slower focus (Tamron lens)

50 f/1.8 - fast aperture, much slower focus, no zoom

I was going to bring the 24-105 because it is wider AND longer. I figure the IS will get me shots of the benches and the crowd/arena, and I could probably get a few action keepers even with it being f/4. I would most likely bring the 50 as well just because it's so small and easy to carry.

Am I all wet? :ear

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    I'd go with your initial plan, 24-105 and 50. Bump up the ISO to 3200 to maintain a fast enough shutter speed for the action shots. Noise at 3200 is not really a problem if it's properly exposed. It's better to have some noise than a blurred shot. Of course, shoot RAW. Good luck.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Are you allowed to be at floor level? I would use (and have used PLENTY of times) my trusty Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for BB and I love it.

Stand behind the hoops, a little to the side and catch them as they come :D
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    It depends on where you're sitting. Since you are governed by the lens restrictions I'm assuming you wont have floor access (as anyone who had that access would likely have permission or a pass and probably could use the 70-200 2.8).

So depending on where your seats are you may not get decent action shots with ANY of the lenses. The 24-105 would get you some shots if you're within 30 feet of the action. Beyond that though you're not going to get very good shots of the action. In which case I would suggest thinking of other types of shots to get - i.e. if you're close enough to the bench to get good shots of them. Or a wide shot of free throws with the crowd going nuts behind the basket, etc. I.E. don't try to drive a square peg in a round hole. If you're too far away dont try to force taking action shots - think of other creative shots that you CAN get given your position and equipment limitations. I'd rather have a couple great non action shots and that's it than 200 crummy action shots because I was just too far away.
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    I agree with John, those are all court side lenses, I'd take the 24-105 forget about swapping, get the best shots you can from where you are. The 28-75 Tammy if you were on the floor... with the 70-200 on another body, swapping sucks.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Thanks guys. I don't know for sure but since it's women's bb I'm fairly sure the attendance is minimal, so I'm hoping I'll be able to move around pretty freely. Either way I'm just there to have fun and learn a bit.

Thanks for the advicethumb.gif
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Had a good time, but...

As I walked in the attendant said "that lens under 4 inches?". I told him it was and he let me in. But later another guy told me "you can't take pictures with that." I told him I had taked to the events coordinator who said it was okay but he showed me a memo form the same woman that stated "remember that no cameras with lenses over 4 inches or detachable lenses are allowed."

During my emails with her she never mentioned that. umph.gif

Anyway, the lighting was good - at f/4 ISO 1600 I would have been shooting at 1/200th. Not bad. And I would have had fairly free roam of the seats around the baskets since most folks were sitting on the sidelines. Oh well, we had fun and BC won 70-42. thumb.gif