SF4 - Mixed reactions

DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited February 1, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is what I entered into LPS SF4:
248659541-L.jpg

Do you think it's good enough? I've had mixed reactions from "Wow!" to "It's too plain". Should I try something else? I know everyone says to play to your skills.. Portraits are really my strong point, but, is it good enough? I guess I'm looking for some SEVERE criticism and comments. Don't hold back, PLEASE!

David

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Hey Doc,
    I think you might be in the same boat I found myself in. I tried to shoot to my strengths and posted a portrait of my kids. I thought it was a great shot but, after a few posts from our fellow LPS'ers, realized it wasn't good enough for the semis. Went back to the drawing board and ended up with a landscape that I'm pretty happy with.
    This shot is technically fine but doesn't have much beneath it to grab the viewer. It's not haunting like seascape's face that he recently posted. I think a portrait really needs to suck you in to make it to the top-10 of the semis.
    Hope this helps and doesn't come off as too 'severe' of criticism.
    E
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    I'm going to second that this is a very nice portait, but probably not a SF contender. I'm in the same boat as you, struggling to come up with something with a bit more grab or wow. I'd keep this entry and keep shooting til the last minute. With this as a decent "placeholder" image you should feel like you can try some riskier stuff that is beyond you usual comfort zone and see what happens.

Ken
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I'll third the above comments. Wonderful lighting and pose--delightful portrait. It needs more to give it a go at the semis: more story. (I may be beaten over the head soon for using that word so repetitively. mwink.gif) Why is she looking back? Is she looking at someone? If so, why? Is she in love and glancing back for that last glimpse of the loved one? Is she being stalked and does she think she heard a footstep behind her?

A simple change in facial expression could really punch this up. Good luck!thumb.gif
  • Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    It actually took me a couple of looks to 'get' the image. 'second look?' i thought. then it hit me and I instantly loved it: the look a girl gives you when she couldn't help but take a 'second look' before resuming her walk and direction. I'm not sure how others will react, though, especially women judges--'m not sure they can have the same reaction so it's a bit of a gamble. If i were a judge this honeslty would be one of my pics.

SF4 is voted, though, so not sure how to approach that . . .

well done thumb.gif