FPYC Basketball

sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
edited February 3, 2008 in Sports
Just some shots from Saturday Basketball.
D300, D3 70-200vr, 24-70
Iso 2000, The gym we were in was very well lighted.

249365173-L.jpg

249366679-L.jpg

249367479-L.jpg

249368724-L.jpg

249370006-L.jpg

249370194-L.jpg

Comments

• RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    nice but
    may i suggest you lessen the dof to help blur the backgrounds...what f stop were these shot at ?
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Hi, sportsshooter06

Great Photos! bowdown.gif
    I agree with the other post smaller DOF would help.
    I am suprised how good the colors turned out with the game being inside.
    I shot a game at UNCA in Asheville, NC and it was hard to freeze the motion and not have the shot alot darker than I like. I had to lighten them up in PP and it let you see noise in most of the photos then.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Thanks for the kind comments.

We did a custom WB , off of the floor, it is similar to how you would WB a hockey game using the ICE.

Just put the Nikon camera in PRE, point the lens at a clear spot on the floor or ice and take a shot, if it says GOOD in the LCD, you have a very good custom WB.

Hey, Randy , we were shooting wide open f2.8, 24-70 and 70-200vr, when you are so close to your subject and the background is very close, your DOF is not as shallow as using longer lens.

It is what it is, we all need good technique. The photos above are all D300, 24-70, iso 2000, f 2.8. Can't get any more wide open than that.
    edited February 1, 2008
    Hi, sportsshooter06

Great Photos! bowdown.gif
    I agree with the other post smaller DOF would help.
    I am suprised how good the colors turned out with the game being inside.
    I shot a game at UNCA in Asheville, NC and it was hard to freeze the motion and not have the shot alot darker than I like. I had to lighten them up in PP and it let you see noise in most of the photos then.

Take Care,
    Chuck,

chuck, what are you shooting?

We are shooting d300 and d3 at high ISO, for this game we shot at ISO 2000. The gym was extremely well lighted and very even light. The floor was almost white tile and the walls were just off white. In a gym like this where you have so many good reflective surfaces, getting a good WB is fairly easy. my lens for this shoot were 24-70 and 70-200, f2.8, shutter speeds were between 1/500 and 1/1250. We could have shot at higher ISO, but, then you introduce more noise and less cropping room. As you crop, you increase noise. I am happy with the photos. Good exposure means understanding how to use, ISo, shutter speed and aperture. It is difficult at times and does take practice, i will also add i had EV +.03, I like exposing to the right.

good luck with your photography.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    nice series!

My only suggestion is: did you run these through noise reduction? If not, the last 3 shots especially are showing some noise. Easily cleaned up and I think they'll be better for it.

Good job!
  • work2fishwork2fish Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    johng wrote:
    nice series!
    My only suggestion is: did you run these through noise reduction? If not, the last 3 shots especially are showing some noise. Easily cleaned up and I think they'll be better for it.
    Good job!

Yes, I think so too.

Were the last three shots cropped more than the others?
    edited February 3, 2008
    johng wrote:
    nice series!

Good job!

we do not use any thing other than what's in camera. These photos may or may not be used in some print form, or posted to the FPYC website. All PP is the option of the end user. We appreciate your comment.
    edited February 3, 2008
    work2fish wrote:
    Yes, I think so too.

Were the last three shots cropped more than the others?

It's very possible, we are displaying the photos for others to see the capabilities of the cameras. Some noise is to be expected, when shooting indoors. We may have cropped these differently or did some extra sharpening.
    If we use the photos for Print or The FPYC website, they will be processed differently.

Glad you like them.