Steins New Mexico, ghost town

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited February 1, 2008 in Landscapes
We were in New Mexico a week and a half ago, england is cold, grey and damp. But I still have my pics to work on.

I knew about Steins, and had high hopes for it, based on my D300. But what a knacker... They were going to open on the 28th, the day we flew back to UK.

There is one modern house on site, so I thought of trying my luck there and ask if they could tell me more.
The lady living there was indeed the guardian, Steins belongs to her family.
I told her that we came from Europe, and had hoped so bad to see the ghost town... It is not as if you have to dust before people go in...
To no avail. She did not want to open the gate, so we could not go in. I had tears in my eyes, she also told me that she might not open it again. I was more then sad, I had wanted to see it for two years, now I was finally there, and she did not want to open the gate. Not even after I told her that we would pay her good money... I don't understand some people...

In the same area, there is another ghost town called Shakespeare. They had a fire and the lady in the visitor centre just over the border with NM told me that Shakespeare too might not reopen. Sad, sad, sad...

So before you go on the drive to Steins, try to call to see if they are open.
Here are some pics, more on my blog...

(I was so angry that I could not take any indoor shots!!!)

249534194-X3.jpg

249534207-X3.jpg

249534215-X3.jpg

Comments