Lens Rental

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited February 7, 2008 in Cameras
Has anyone here heard/used lensrentals.com? I was surfing and found their site, based out of TN. I've been interested in the Canon 50mm f1.2 L series and wanted to see before buying .... I found lensrentals.com and have been very very impressed with options, not only lenses available but bodies and other accessories, Fedex 2 day and wicked reasonable prices with a variety of rental time lengths (e.g. 3 day to 6 months). So far I've been wicked impressed and wanted to get other peoples opinion.

Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 31, 2008
    Randy,

I moved this to Cameras where I think you'll get a little better response.

I also encourage you to review the offerings of our vendors:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=79033
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Randy,

I moved this to Cameras where I think you'll get a little better response.

I also encourage you to review the offerings of our vendors:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=79033

Hey Ziggy...thank you..I wasn't sure where it should go.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• glassandgear.comglassandgear.com Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Well, clearly I may be a bit biased but I highly recommend www.glassandgear.com :D. We're based in New Hampshire and have an ever growing assortment of lenses and other gear.
    http://www.glassandgear.com

Professional Photography Rentals
  • FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Hey Ziggy...thank you..I wasn't sure where it should go.

I've used them once, and would do so again. Their selection and prices seem comparable to the other rental places that I've looked at (BorrowLenses.com, glassandgear.com, photolensrental.com, rentglass.com, lensprotogo.com, ziplens.com). They are closer to me than most of the other rental places, which meant back before all the rental places went from USPS to FedEx shipping I could normally get euipment a day or so quicker. I think what impresses me the most (although I haven't put it to the test) is their 2 and 2 guarantee, where they claim that with 2 weeks notice for a 2 week rental they will guarantee availability, even if it means that they have to buy another copy.
    --Travis
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Has anyone here heard/used lensrentals.com? I was surfing and found their site, based out of TN. I've been interested in the Canon 50mm f1.2 L series and wanted to see before buying .... I found lensrentals.com and have been very very impressed with options, not only lenses available but bodies and other accessories, Fedex 2 day and wicked reasonable prices with a variety of rental time lengths (e.g. 3 day to 6 months). So far I've been wicked impressed and wanted to get other peoples opinion.

I've used lensrentals.com before, I rented the 24-105L, and the 100-400 L for the glacier shootout, I was definitely happy with them, they had a discount worked out with another forum I am part of to get a 3 week rental for a 2 week rental price, So that made the price even cooler.

The customer service was quite nice too, They were totally helpful, always going that extra mile to take care of me. I had two issues come up during the rental, one was pretty minor, something fedex did, but lensrentals.com took care of it the other thing that happened, Was when it came around time to return them on a saturday, I realized that I had an event I was shooting on that day, and that the lenses would be really handy to have for it, So I sent them an e-mail asking if there's anything I can do to extend the rental for a day so that I can return it on monday, I figure they might be able to do it for less than the full price of a 3 day rental. They reply telling me
    Hi Ben,
    If you'll drop it off Monday morning (usually 11 a.m. is the outgo
    time) that'll be fine. No charge.

So Yeah, I'm happy with them, and have no problems recommending them, Though this was my first rental, and I havn't tried any other places, So unfortunately, I can't really compare them to anybody else for you. :)

Though, I have also heard of folks using borrowlenses.com, and glassandgear.com and while I don't personally have any experience with them, I think they have a discount for Smugmuggers.

Maybe Andy could talk to lensrentals.com also and see about getting a discount for Dgrinners, The other forum has both lensrentals.com, and borrowlenses.commwink.gif

Anyway, Good Luck!

Ben
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I'm renting from Lensrentals.com right now, based on a recommendation from this forum. I received the Canon 70-200 2.8 on January 15 for a 30 day rental and have been very happy so far. I had some questions before I rented and they responded immediately to my e-mails. They sent me an e-mail when they shipped it along with the tracking number. The lens came packed very well, came with lens hood, tripod ring, in soft case. You use the same box and the return shipping label they provide to return it. The lens has been working great and I am going to be very sorry when I have to return it. I reserved the lens ahead of time for a specific date (Jan 17). It arrived 2 days ahead of schedule so I get those 2 days for free - Yeah!!

Stephanie
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Well I would usually probably chime in here and nominate myself, but that wouldn't be very surprising, now would it? So this is me, officially, not recommending http://www.BorrowLenses.com. I'll leave that to the siggie :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Well I would usually probably chime in here and nominate myself, but that wouldn't be very surprising, now would it? So this is me, officially, not recommending http://www.BorrowLenses.com. I'll leave that to the siggie :)

I'll second that nomination clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I've rented from them before and can't say enough about them.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I'll third that nominationclap.gif

I've used them before and am getting ready to use them again twice in the next coming weeks.
    Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • kenken Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:

I have rented from Lensrentals several times. Roger and crew are great.
    Life is too important to take seriously, no one gets out of it alive.
  • LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Well, clearly I may be a bit biased but I highly recommend www.glassandgear.com :D. We're based in New Hampshire and have an ever growing assortment of lenses and other gear.

Just set up my second rental with them... Very happy and would recomend them to everyone!

Customer service is top notch and Jason is a great guy to deal with.

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Yes and the pricing seems more than reasonable.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com