Options

Packages and Prices - Portraits

mbg0333mbg0333 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited February 2, 2008 in People
So I have a couple of events coming up that I have shot these kinds of things before and would love some suggestions....i got a lot of help with my lighting so thanks again guys.

I am doing a 21 kid kingergarten private school graduation. Taking pictures of the kids in caps and gowns and a group shot. The lady told me the packages ranged from about 15 to 36 bucks last year. So i want to be competetive.

That some school also wants be to do their spring pictures. Like an outdoorsy creative type thing for 127 kids ranging from Pre K to 7th grade. Im at a complete lost here.

Any suggestions would be great!!

Comments

• Options
    AdaptiveAdaptive Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Wow $15-$36 sounds really cheap!!!!

Are you getting any sitting fee? Jeez, time to move to a bigger city my friend! :D
  • Options
    dwayne_bradleydwayne_bradley Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    $15-$36 sort of reminds me of...
    the prices that I have paid in the past for pictures of my kids "official" sports picture packages through the local TSS Photography person. As a matter of fact, my kids have "picture day" this weekend for Upward Basketball. Of course, there are lots of add-ons that can run this price up very quickly.
  • Options
    RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Set my basic package very low
    I did my first preschool shoot this year. I decided on a pricing strategy that would get maximum participation and take advantage of the add-on sales.

$19.99 got them an 8x10 class photo an 8x10 individual photo, 4 wallets, and a little slideshow on DVD for everyone. REALLY CHEAP PACKAGE.

Then I offered everything else ala cart. $9.99 for 8 additional die cut wallets, $9.99 for additional 8x10 and $4.99 for each 5x7. I also offered a lot of other products but these were the core of the orders.

I ended up with an average sale of a little over $50.00 per child. In addition I booked a bunch of family portraits out of the group.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • Options
    AdaptiveAdaptive Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I did my first preschool shoot this year. I decided on a pricing strategy that would get maximum participation and take advantage of the add-on sales.

$19.99 got them an 8x10 class photo an 8x10 individual photo, 4 wallets, and a little slideshow on DVD for everyone. REALLY CHEAP PACKAGE.

Then I offered everything else ala cart. $9.99 for 8 additional die cut wallets, $9.99 for additional 8x10 and $4.99 for each 5x7. I also offered a lot of other products but these were the core of the orders.

I ended up with an average sale of a little over $50.00 per child. In addition I booked a bunch of family portraits out of the group.

That is way too much for only $19.99. You are basically giving everything away and making alot of work for yourself!! If you were stuck with $19.99 I would have given them the 8x10 class picture and maybe a sheet of wallets from the indificual photo and that's it. Even that is a great price, I would charge $29.99 for that minimum. But it works for you that's all that counts.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    I did cheerleader packages for $25. It included one team 5x7, one individual 5x7, and 12 wallets. Sounds cheap? I sold extras ala carte, and the average ran to about $65. Many wanted color and BW versions plus some variations I did on group poses. I actually made out pretty good, and made the mothers feel as if it was a bargain.

If I were you, I would offer an 8x10, 2 5x7's, and 8 or so wallets for $30. Let them order the group shots and extras at your per print rates.

Usually I do not charge a sit fee for something of this nature. You will make it up by the sheer bulk of the sales.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Adaptive wrote:
    That is way too much for only $19.99. You are basically giving everything away and making alto of work for yourself!! If you were stuck with $19.99 I would have given them the 8x10 class picture and maybe a sheet of wallets from the indificual photo and that's it. Even that is a great price, I would charge $29.99 for that minimum. But it works for you that's all that counts.

The big thing for me was all of the add-on sales and the packages that I was able to book off the class pictures. You're right $19.99 is way too much, but I was looking at it as an advertising opportunity. Even if I had only broke even on the class pictures (I ended up making a pretty decent profit) I would have been happy. The only reason I agreed to do the class pictures was I wanted the names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses of the parents. I booked 9 families off this one class shoot. I think I ended up with about 8 total hours tied up in the whole project and had just over $2300 in sales from two classes that totaled 36 kids.

The 9 family bookings brought in just under $5000.

To me doing something like shooting for "cheap" makes more sense than running an ad in the paper, sending out direct mail, etc. It would be different if you trying to make a living off of the class pictures. I view it as advertising.

I am pretty sure I will end up with some more sales off this project in the spring. All of the information I gathered went directly into ACT. I created an action plan for all of the people. In addition to adding them to my newsletter and email marketing campaigns.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-