Tree in an Orchid

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited February 1, 2008 in Landscapes
There's acutally a pretty good story behind this...

249584349-XL.jpg

This is actually a joint effort photo -- my original composition, and post work by my friend Dan.
<o:p> </o:p>
I decided to go shooting with Dan after the <o:p></o:p>photo seminar at smugmug HQ
The original plan was for us to head to the hills of Stanford, but due to the rain, I took him to an orchid for some long exposure night shots in Sunnyvale near a park next to a tennis court.
To our surprise, the cops stopped to check on us! Twice! :dunno

And it wasn’t even that late at night! It turns out that they were "concerned" since my car was in the parking lot; he couldn’t see us in the orchid and the park was closed. The first police let us stay after I chatted with him a bit.
Ten minute later, another police pulled up behind my car. Once again, I left orchid and had all spot lights on me. He also let us stay for a bit, but he wouldn’t leave, and instead, turn on ALL of his high power spot lights directly on us in when I walked back into th orchid. :scratch I think both of them ran my plates and put my info in their computer.

Needless to say, we didn't get any more photos until he left and we left soon after a handful more shots. Strange...

Maybe Dan will post some of his photos... (amazing work).

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 1, 2008
    I went by there the other day. I think the orchard is actually private property.
    If it's the one behind the sr. center. For some reason, I thought it was really
    a public park.

Anyhow, interesting photo. I like the glow of the lights--almost looks like
    sunset.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • will-jumwill-jum Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I went by there the other day. I think the orchard is actually private property.
    a public park.

Anyhow, interesting photo. I like the glow of the lights--almost looks like
    sunset.

Do you all live in the same area or something =o?!
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    will-jum wrote:
    Do you all live in the same area or something =o?!
    There are quite of a few of us that live in the San Francisco bay area. I've lived here for years and never met any people on dgrin/smugmug, but I went to shootout in glaicer and put some faces to names and after that, it makes things easier.

And then I met some more some wonderful people and saw old frineds at the smugmug party and then a few made more it to the photo seminar.

Now, I search for dgrin people when I travel! And I hope to shoot more with dgrin people in the future!clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    a public park.
    I don't know if it's private property... I think it might be a historical site since it's off a major street! Plus, it's a pretty a small orchid (100 trees max?) and the farming equipment is rusted solid. Senior center? Dont' know if there is one there, but it's a pretty big park with tennis courts and a Kabob joint. This is next to Las Palmas park (maybe a part of Las Palmas) in Sunnyvale off of Mathilda near El Camino.

I find it strange that I find an orchid across the street from Borders and PF Changs...headscratch.gif With the expensive real estate in the bay area, places like this are torn down and developed..
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Great shot, must be an awesom orchard... orchards are great for this type of shot... lots of cool looking shape to the trees... I live near a few apple orchards, Im thinking i should check them out.. lol what could it hurt except for getting shot at by some crazy orchard owner? lol
    great shot, keep up the good work!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 1, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    I find it strange that I find an orchid across the street from Borders and PF Changs...headscratch.gif With the expensive real estate in the bay area, places like this are torn down and developed..
    It's a part of the deal the Olson family made with the city when they sold
    what is now Border's. But yeah, I grew up in that area and remember when
    it was ALL farm land--except the Ford stealership and what is Spoons :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?