Getting the white background white

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited February 1, 2008 in People
i am struggling to get this white background white. I don't want to do selecting and photoshoping. there is an external flash on the backdrop which helped some, but, as you can see, it is still very visible. What is the best/ easiest way to get to to go pure white?
249616631-M.jpg

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    More light
    To do Hi Key lighting, you need even and multiple lights on your background. A single flash is not enough to do the job! The background needs light on it a couple stops higher then your subjects. Basically you are blowing out the background with too much light.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Yeah usually you need atleast two strobes to get a pure whitebackground, but 3 to 4 is even better. If you look up studio photography on google you'll get a bunch of results explaining it alot better.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    You could also try reducing the main lights on your subjects -- that will have the effect of increasing the exposure on the background. It means opening up your lens for a shallower depth of field, but that shouldn't hurt your composition, I don't think.
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    In addition, the background need to be flat. The wrinkles will cause shadows. Try some clamps.

good luck!

Lisa
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I have a (very) small studio, so I need to keep light from bouncing back onto the subject. So, I make everything black (floor-walls and background too) except for (only) the background that is exactly in the image. This means that the white seamless background in the image is the only white area. Just outside the image area, the background is black all the way around. I do this with big pieces of black felt, which I drape over the background stand and adjust so they’re just outside the image area. The black felt is the most non-reflective stuff I’ve found, and really sucks up light.

I use two strobe heads for the background, one on each side, each is pointed at the opposite side of the background. Exposure for those heads varies between 1 stop over the main to 2 stops over the main, depending on whether I want white with detail or white without detail.

A roll of white seamless will make your life easier than using a bedsheet or something that has folds.

Hope this helps

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Here's a tut from Andy to get the white background with Photoshop: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1077012

I know you'd rather do it with your background and lighting set up, but if you don't have enough equipment, then PS is another option.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips