SF4-FOR GOLD please comment :)

Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
edited February 1, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey all, here is my submission so far for SF4
For_Gold_by_IzzyGaravito.jpg

I would love to hear all of your comments/criticizms/suggestions--anything that would take this photo or theme to the next level. different compositions/pp/vantage point/time of day/lighting ratios, etc.

I've had a lot of fun making this image and, so far, am almost satisfied with the results. it might be that i've been looking at it for too long, but it feels like something is missing.

Thanks a ton!

Izzy G

Here's the new Image:

For_Gold_by_IzzyGaravito.jpg

What to do? 7 votes

Right on, keep the submission as it is!
28% 2 votes
Izzy, this thing is too dark
14% 1 vote
try a different point of view you lazy bum
14% 1 vote
choose a different time of day, budzo
0% 0 votes
it's worhtless, keep shooting
14% 1 vote
dude, why so many questions?
28% 2 votes

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Very clever image! thumb.gif There is one thing bugging me, however...it appears that the skis are just touching down at the end of his flying jump, and at this stage, wouldn't his body be getting into that Telemark landing position? It looks like his pose is a flying-through-the-air position, and yet he's ready to land, making it feel like he's about do a face plant! :D I like seeing the ski jump in the background, but for me, it would be stronger if his skis didn't appear to be touching down. I hope that makes some amount of sense.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    oh sure thing Elaine. In fact, I had been playing around with the snow--I wasn't sure if I wanted to leave the skier and the background without some sort of foreground or middle-ground so I decided to keep it. I'll post one without the snow, with just the skier and the background, to see what it looks like.

Good point!

Izzy
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    oh sure thing Elaine. In fact, I had been playing around with the snow--I wasn't sure if I wanted to leave the skier and the background without some sort of foreground or middle-ground so I decided to keep it. I'll post one without the snow, with just the skier and the background, to see what it looks like.

Good point!

Izzy
    I agree, it looks like he's about to face plant with his position and the snow. Otherwisse it's greatthumb.gif .

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Very neat idea! I wasn't worried so much about a face plant but that his ankles were going to break as soon as the front of his skis hit that snow. mwink.gif

If it's possible to bring a smidge more light to the left side of his face (our right), that would also be nice to see.

Cool concept. thumb.gif
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Cool shot. The background is brighter on the right than the left, yet the jumper's face is lit on the left (his right side). This contradiction seems to bother me. I also agree that the shadow side needs some lightening to show some more details in the face.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    yeah, good call--I noticed the difference in light this morning. I'll flip it and see what i can do to light up the other side.

Thanks all!