Royal Scots Dragoon Guard

ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited February 2, 2008 in People
So, the Royal Scots Dragoon Guard, The Band of the Coldstream Guard, Pipes and Drums and Highland Dancers all performed at the Auditorium here. And I got to photograph. It was probably one of the best performances I've seen in the Auditorium :D

I love bagpipes :D

And I know the last photo is not the most technically superior, because the background is obviously blown out. But I was unable to get the 2 service men sharp without overexposing the background. And when I saw service men around the Auditorium standing during the tribute to American military, I wanted that shot. I think it says a lot, even though it may not be the best in precision. I had to think quick when I saw that (not to mention I could have gotten kicked out of the Auditorium had they seen me do it :D) I didn't have enough time to play with the settings so I got what I could in the time I had. I think it's my favorite of the bunch. It's that shot that says everything without needing a background (because unlike my advisor who told me he didn't see "2 servicemen", that's EXACTLY what I see. 2 coats cut to fit, at attention, with an American flag in the background)

Let me know what you guys think.

249622054-L.jpg

249622129-L.jpg

249622162-L.jpg

249622293-L.jpg

249622365-L.jpg

249622461-L.jpg

249622501-L.jpg

249622676-L.jpg

249622857-L.jpg

249622743-L.jpg
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici

Comments

• j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Maybe try posting 3 or 4 (numbering them) max and posting larger photo's with some seperation between them. I think you'd get more responses that way.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 1, 2008
    It was good to see you having so much fun Chris.

I love the reflection in the bass drum facing.

You just had to be there to see the lighting on the flags behind the band to appreciate how red/magenta it really was, in your sixth frame. You handled that well. It is too magenta here but that was exactly how it looked to me at the time too.

And how much contrast there was between the colonial soldier and the rest of the band in your second frame. You handled that well also. The lighting contrast was even too much for the human eye, let alone a camera sensor. I think the lighting director did not do a great job there personally, but maybe that was the effect they were wanting.

Was your last shot of the soldiers standing captured in RAW? If it was, you might try to create two separate exposures in RAW conversion - one for the silhouettes, and one for the stage to prevent its overexposure, and then blend them in Photoshop with a mask. The over-exposed areas confuse my eye about that shot some. I understand it because I was there and saw it also, but as a stand alone frame it will be hard for other folks to appreciate I suspect.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    No, I didn't think about it and shot it in JPEG. But next time something like that happens, I'll know what to do.

I had a blast :D They're definitley good enough for a front page centerpiece. I had a bunch of other photos I liked, but these were my fave :D
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici