Can you use focus and exposure lock simultaneously?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
edited February 1, 2008 in Technique
I'm using a 20D in aperture priority mode. I want to use partial metering and recompose after focusing on the center point. If I press the * button for exposure lock first then focus with the shutter button half-pressed, recompose and shoot, will the exposure also stay locked? Will this also work if I am using a flash?

Thanks,

Comments

• HaryHary Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Don't know about the 20D but the D300 can.
    Remember that (again D300 expirience) with flash you might need Flash Value Lock.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I'm using a 20D in aperture priority mode. I want to use partial metering and recompose after focusing on the center point. If I press the * button for exposure lock first then focus with the shutter button half-pressed, recompose and shoot, will the exposure also stay locked? Will this also work if I am using a flash?

I do it with my Rebel XT and it seems to work fine. First I point camera at area I want to meter off of, press * button, then select focus point, and if necessary, recompose. I haven't tried it with flash, though.

Also, for some reason I have it in my head that I have to keep * pressed down until the picture is taken, but I might be doing it wrong.