Options

Second Track (5 pics)

JubbaKingJubbaKing Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited March 21, 2005 in Sports
Shot my second track tournament today. As always, I appreciate your thoughts.
All pictures taken with my Canon 20d, 70-200 2.8L IS, some with a 2x extender.

ttt01.jpg
ttt02.jpg
ttt03.jpg
ttt04.jpg
ttt05.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)
Nate Grant: Living Legend

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited March 19, 2005
    my thoughts...
    JubbaKing wrote:
    Shot my second track tournament today. As always, I appreciate your thoughts.
    All pictures taken with my Canon 20d, 70-200 2.8L IS, some with a 2x extender.

Thanks for looking! :)

#1 is, as they say, very "in the moment." I like the frozen action with your shutter setting; I just don't like the background. That angle should have worked, but with some other background.

#2 the look on the second runner in the blocks is mint. Needs a different crop, methinks?

#3 is a super shot. Where are his feet?

#4 Wow. Just plain Wow. thumb.gif

#5 doesn't do anything for me at all.

Glad the 70-200 IS L and TC are working for you. Long-term, I'm looking at that combo as well.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    JubbaKingJubbaKing Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    David, thank you for the critiques. I noticed them all as well. :)

In the first, I could clone out the people, but they really don't bother me. There were athletes changing their clothes to the right of me, so that would have been more distracting and shooting from behind would not be as effective. I did take a similar shot shooting to my left (jumper's right) towards the track and bleachers but felt it didn't have as much impact...no pun intended. :) Maybe I'll post it later.

What kind of crop would you suggest? I left a little room to the sides to help show more of the curve of the track.

He lost his feet in 'nam. :) Nah, I have a bad habit of cutting off feet. It's a hard habit to break.

Glad you like #4.

I guess I liked #5 because the teammates are all connected to each other through a triangle-almost a force to be reckoned with- and the girl in the front seems to dread the final hurdle...buuuuut I guess if I have to explain that, it doesn't work does it? :)

Thanks again!
    Nate Grant: Living Legend
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited March 19, 2005
    JubbaKing wrote:
    What kind of crop would you suggest? I left a little room to the sides to help show more of the curve of the track.
    I dunno, exactly. headscratch.gif Could you post the entire frame?

JubbaKing wrote:
    He lost his feet in 'nam.
    Nah. :bs He's too young to have been there. Perhaps his feet broke off in the starting blocks? :giggle Double ouch. :hurt

JubbaKing wrote:
    I guess I liked #5 because the teammates are all connected to each other through a triangle-almost a force to be reckoned with- and the girl in the front seems to dread the final hurdle...buuuuut I guess if I have to explain that, it doesn't work does it? :)
    I think it would work great as a newspaper-type shot for the sports pages. As an art piece, not as much.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    joechiujoechiu Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    I agree with David. The first one also is a little OOF/soft on the athelete's face. The background would be okay if it wasn't for the guy standing with his butt showing just over the jumper's head.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 21, 2005
    JK,

Between David and Joe, they've covered everything I saw. As far as the crop on the 2nd shot, if you don't have much room left on the right I'd crop into the oof runner on the left of the frame. He adds some balance but zero interest, IMO. I'd put the face of the runner on the right in the upper right "third" and work left from there. Just my opinion.

These are some really fine shots thumb.gifthumb.gif I agree with the WOW on the 4th one clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks for shairng them,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero