Options

Sequence shots ?

RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited February 7, 2008 in Technique
Can anyone gime me some guidance on how to form sequence shots... how do you put these together?... maybe i'm just missing somethign and it's quite simple... but at the moment i'm stumped.... :scratch

THis photo i found on istockphoto... just to show u guys what i mean...

** Mod edit. Photo example can be seen in this link.

photo by: johnrich

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Like this?
    190262593-L.jpg

What I did was to (obviously) take three photos, and decide which background was best for my purpose. I think I actually had five, but chose to only use three. In your example, the "master" shot would obviously be the one with the splash. Then I carefully selected the motorcycle and shadow on the other two shots, paying very close attention to where they were located with respect to the road, then erased the background and moved the bikes onto separate layers of the "master" shot.

I'm a photoshop illiterate, so I'm sure someone else will step in here and tell us a much better way (and that won't hurt my feelings a bit) but that's how I did it. Just grunt work.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    HaryHary Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    take 3 pictures (no camera movement preffered) then in photoshop copy the horses from 2 pics onto the 3rd picture. you dont have to be vary precise (since the background should be the same) use M so that the camera doesnt decide to change anything like aperture because you want the background to be the same.

Example: please note the couch is messed up between the left Kate and the Kate in the middle because also i cut off a part of her leg because of the rush in photoshop :)

246600121-XL.jpg

hope this helps. If you have any questions please ask.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Ha! Got "stepped on." For the motorcycle shot, I was handholding. Obviusly, the backgrounds were a bit different from shot to shot, but so long as you don't zoom, the size of the bike (or horse) will be proper from shot to shot. Once you select the background out, you can move the bike around and place it where you want it. Obviously using a tripod makes placement easier, but you still have to carefully select out the background, as illustrated by the weirdness between the two ladies on the left and center:D .
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited February 1, 2008
    Shoot your series of shots with the camera stationary or on a tripod - select the portion of each of the images your want to display with the Pen tool or the Magnetic lasso or the tool of your choice, and then use ctrl-V to move them from their original frame to your final frame for something like this.....

48701173-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Sounds do-able... thanks a lot everybody ! thumb.gif
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    I just happened to shoot some of these yesterday.

I shot them handheld and used photoMerge in CS3 to allign them together. Photomerge is also handy in that it creates all the layer masks for you. You just select the mask thumbnail in your layer editor and use the brush set to black or white to show or hide sections of the different layers.

250460286-L-1.jpg

250460368-L-1.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    CAFieldsCAFields Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Great Suggestions!
    I was tinkering with the idea of sequences last summer with some shots I took of a jetski competition on the Oregon Coast, and here's what I came up with.

0890-72-C.JPG

0819-72-C.JPG

I had the camera on a tripod and shot as fast as the camera would allow (without changing any settings).

In Photoshop I combined the individual frames into one shot by copying all frames onto the first one as individual layers, so that the jetski in the different positions were each on their own layer.

One by one, I then lowered the opacity of each layer so that I could line the jetski up properly with the horizon by moving the layer, then created a layer mask and painted the jetski in, then increased the opacity to 100%. I repeated the same procedure with each layer, cropped and applied some PP (which I'm going to redo one of these days) and then flattened the layers.

It's interesting to read the replies on this thread of different ways to accomplish similar effects. Thanks everyone, it gives me some ideas for next time....
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Raphy. I have removed the photo & inserted a link. Thanks.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 4, 2008
    there's quite a nice thread (with small tutorial) on this topic right here on dgrin already:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=25478

:D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    CAFields wrote:
    In Photoshop I combined the individual frames into one shot by copying all frames onto the first one as individual layers, so that the jetski in the different positions were each on their own layer.

One by one, I then lowered the opacity of each layer so that I could line the jetski up properly with the horizon by moving the layer, then created a layer mask and painted the jetski in, then increased the opacity to 100%. I repeated the same procedure with each layer, cropped and applied some PP (which I'm going to redo one of these days) and then flattened the layers.
    Dude, you're gonna kick yourself when you see the "align layers" function in Ps CS3!

Love the second shot BTW.
  • Options
    HaryHary Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    I just happened to shoot some of these yesterday.

great shots :)
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Doing so w/o a tri-pod
    I did not originally intend to do a sequence shot when I took these pictures but I put one together afterwards:
    151840151-M-4.jpg
    These were hand-held pans and I used Photoshop and masks and layers to merge the images. I realized a few things afterwards that would have made this easier.

One is use manual mode, to insure no subtle exposure differences from shot to shot. Makes it much easier to merge later. Two is to have lots of depth of field, otherwise you can find it difficult to merge in backgrounds. In my case here I had issues with pavement falling out of focus, then in focus, then out, then back in, then out again, you get the idea. Lastly, shoot with the same focal length and do not move the camera forward, backwards, sideways, etc.

In this sequence I started with the last image of the shot, with the car closest to me. I had to expand the canvas to the right, which gave me some blank white space to put other stacks onto. I then brought in the image just prior to the main one, reduced the opacity quite a bit, and moved it around until background elements aligned. I then masked off the car and select tidbits of background. Repeat with another image back in time. Eventually you get quite a bit of image with four cars in the scene. Do a final crop to taste.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    CAFieldsCAFields Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Dude, you're gonna kick yourself when you see the "align layers" function in Ps CS3!
    I did the jetski photos with CS, now I have CS3 so I'll have to check out the "align layers" function (along with many other improvements with CS3).
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Love the second shot BTW.
    Thanks!